Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 11, 2015, 8:15 PM   #1

Default Vidareidi - Faroe Islands

Thursday morning I visited Vidareide, a small village with a population of 300 pp.

The light shows in the islands at 10:30 AM and the sunset at 3:00 PM so the days are very short. The light is very blue because you never seen the sun, it is like having a sunrise for 5 hours.

MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2015, 8:06 AM   #2

A 5 hour sunrise would be fun to shoot , but man, the other 19 hours being darkness? Couldn't do it. Beautiful place to be and see though.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2015, 8:10 AM   #3

Really different and interesting looking place and you captured it well. I noticed in shot #5 that the sheep are very well insulated for the cold by that extremely thick fur. One wonders how many wool sweaters could be knitted from those sheep.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:14 AM   #4

Isn't a beautiful place????

Marcelo .. those are fantastic shots ... I just want to go back there!

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:03 AM   #5

Are these taken with the 12mm F2? What is the last shot? A fish hatchery?
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
A 5 hour sunrise would be fun to shoot , but man, the other 19 hours being darkness? Couldn't do it. Beautiful place to be and see though.
Weird experience but in Summer they do not have darkness at all, they use dark blinds to make the rooms dark enough to sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Really different and interesting looking place and you captured it well. I noticed in shot #5 that the sheep are very well insulated for the cold by that extremely thick fur. One wonders how many wool sweaters could be knitted from those sheep.
Thank you Steven, the wool sweaters are an icon of this country. I had the chance to eat also some local food and I really enjoyed some but other not too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by folob View Post
Isn't a beautiful place????

Marcelo .. those are fantastic shots ... I just want to go back there!
It is a fantastic place and I will be back on April with some of my long lens to shoot Puffins and Hawks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew881 View Post
Are these taken with the 12mm F2? What is the last shot? A fish hatchery?
Drew, the weather is so unpredictable that I was forced to use the 12-50mm all the time. You watch through the window of your hotel and the day is beautiful with clear skys, I prepared my bag, lenses, etc and 10 minutes later it is snowing, 20 minutes later is clear again.

I used for those pictures the 12-50mm and for the church the 9-18mm.

The last shot shows the salmon farms, those lights are on 24hrs. The Salmon from the Faroe Island is the best and most expensive in the market.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:01 AM   #7

How careful are you with the non-waterproofed lenses? If I buy the 12 F2, I will take it hiking, but place it in a plastic food bag. But would you not use it at all in the rain/snow for a bit, even if you can wipe it off and throw it back in the bag?

Anyway, this is still great results for the 12-50. When my 12-40 comes, the 12-50 will be shipped to my mom for her Epl1.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew881 View Post
How careful are you with the non-waterproofed lenses? If I buy the 12 F2, I will take it hiking, but place it in a plastic food bag. But would you not use it at all in the rain/snow for a bit, even if you can wipe it off and throw it back in the bag?

Anyway, this is still great results for the 12-50. When my 12-40 comes, the 12-50 will be shipped to my mom for her Epl1.
Drew,

I love my lens but I don't mind using it on a light snow fall or rain but when the weather is wild like this time in the Faroe Islands is better to use the 12-50mm that support any kind of weather.

I love the 12-50mm and it is one of the reasons I don't replace it with the 12-40mm but sometimes the 2.8 aperture is tempting.

Olympus gear is very well built and a light rain or snow is not going to damage any of your non-weather proof lenses.

I remember you asked me for a comparative test between the 12-50mm and the 12mm, sorry I didn't have chance to do it but I will during this week.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:51 PM   #9

No worries. I really like your processing of images, so it would be cool to see one shot with both lenses processed in the same way!
Old Jan 14, 2015, 4:06 AM   #10

Very nice landscape images Marcelo, very different from the English Lake District which is where I am from.
John Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote