Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 17, 2015, 9:22 AM   #1

Default A couple shots with the Rokinon 12mm f2.0 to make you feel cold

Been playing around with the Rokinon 12mm f2.0 although the weather has been brutal cold I've tried to get something shot. So hear we go;

Yesterday morning with the E-PM2, I'm afraid I missed focus a bit using the pseudo peaking on the E-PM2 so it wasn't as sharp as I'd have liked ... I have to take time to assign a button to magnify and start using that as it is probably more accurate.

Snowy Morning by ramcewan, on Flickr

And last night was clear and moonless so I bundled up, we hit a low of 6 last night, and setup on the back deck to try some astro. Still much to improve here but the lens certainly is promising in it's light gathering capability. Really can't wait to try this in Maine this summer where the sky will be darker and the temps bearable!

I was shooting at ISO 3200 with the E-M1 and finding exposure times of 8 seconds were still a bit bright from light pollution. I ended up having to work this one pretty hard to darken the sky and then using a mask brighten the foreground of the house and trees. I may try to re-work this one or some of the others later today.

Cold night by ramcewan, on Flickr
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2015, 12:44 PM   #2

Wow, I like those shots. The last one with the stars is my favorite. I can actually pick out some star clusters in the sky. Well done!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2015, 5:37 PM   #3

That's one great shot of Orion. You can even see the nebula. Very, very nice.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2015, 7:10 PM   #4

Fantastic shots, the second is spectacular, love the colors and sharpness.

Did you use the MF assistant for focusing?
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Wow, I like those shots. The last one with the stars is my favorite. I can actually pick out some star clusters in the sky. Well done!
Thank you I am glad you enjoyed them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
That's one great shot of Orion. You can even see the nebula. Very, very nice.
Yeah Orion's belt was very visible to the naked eye and the camera caught more, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
Fantastic shots, the second is spectacular, love the colors and sharpness.

Did you use the MF assistant for focusing?
Thank you!

Yes on the e-m1 there are two function buttons near the mount, I have one assigned to focus peaking and one to magnify, I use the magnify to zoom in 14x on a bright star and fine tune the focus to make the star as point like as possible on the LCD which I tilt out since it was on tripod at chest height. From there I try a few shots to determine best shutter speed .... Iso is set to 3200, I turn off ibis and use the 12 second delay. Aperture on this lens is manual and set to f2... You should be able to achieve the same with you m zuiko 12 using MF and M mode... Of course you will need to get away from nyc's light pollution!

Last edited by ramcewan; Jan 17, 2015 at 10:24 PM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:34 PM   #6

I haven't seen even one image from my new toy yet, the Contax. I put two black & white rolls through it weekend before last (Ilford HP5), mailed them off to Ilford in California to process, print and send me large scans. Checked with them Thursday because I hadn't heard a word and it turned out they sent me an invoice for the larger scans (I had paid for medium scans, then asked them to upgrade to large), but they spelled my email incorrectly so I never got the invoice, so they had not started the processing. Hoping to see them this next week.

Black & white processing services are hard to find these days. I found out later there is one premium lab here in Dallas still doing it, and I'm taking them 3 rolls this next week to process, scan and give me contact sheets.

I'm playing around with an idea to buy the "stuff" to do my own processing, I've done it before, and use my E-M1 and the 60mm f2.8 macro with the Kenko tubes to "scan" the negatives to cut down on the time delays. I don't mind waiting a few days, but two weeks or longer is kinda crazy.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2015, 1:36 PM   #7

Here are a couple of shots from my porch (didn't venture much farther) that make you feel cold and wet.

drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:42 PM   #8

VERY nice shots
I also like the star cluster
you can see the Orion Nebula in your shot ( Very impressive )
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:15 PM   #9

Greg, they say patience is a virtue, that's cause it's hard for most to have any! glad you found a closer processor. I am just old enough to remember using a darkroom in highschool so can see that being kinda cool fun to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredS View Post
VERY nice shots
I also like the star cluster
you can see the Orion Nebula in your shot ( Very impressive )
Thanks FredS I've been reading up on the Orion Nebula and what it takes to shoot it. I may give it another try with a longer lens and some stacking soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew881 View Post
Here are a couple of shots from my porch (didn't venture much farther) that make you feel cold and wet.
I see your wet and cold and offer up a frigid ice shack at dusk, I could hear the ice loudly popping as it refroze while I was taking this shot... sure wouldn't catch me out there!!

Ice House at Dusk by ramcewan, on Flickr