Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:10 PM   #1

Default Runavik, Syðrugøta and Torur.

Traveling to Runavik we stopped at Syðrugøta, it is a small village with a population of 400pp. Every year they celebrate the G Festival where American and European rock bands play for 3 or 4 days.

I had the pleasure to meet Torur, he is a fisherman and he invited me to his home to have coffee. He showed me some old pictures of his adventures as a hunter, hiker and fisherman.

On his living room wall is hanging a picture of his grandparents.

This is the view from one of his home window:

Fish, lamb, puffins, also Fulmar a kind of seagull (and sometimes whale) are the main ingredients of the faroese cuisine but dry cod and lamb is something that is never missing in winter time. I tried dry lamb and you really need to be a "brave man" to taste it

People is so humble and welcoming there and meeting Torur was a great experience.

6. Please don't ask me why I used ISO 2500 for this picture

Runavik is the 3rd larger city, they have one the the biggest "wind farm" there, 45% of the power used in the island is coming form hydropower plants or wind farms. They are looking to increase this kind of power supply to avoid dependency of imported oil.

It is 4;00 PM and it is raining, time to return back to Fuglafjørður.

I promise this will be my last post of my trip to the Faroe Islands

Last edited by MarceloLI; Jan 22, 2015 at 10:40 AM.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:16 AM   #2

Fabulous set of images Marcelo.
John Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:06 AM   #3

Marcelo, I do hope this will not be your final post of your trip to the Faroes.

I so enjoy seeing them, many years ago when I was active with my HAM HF radio station I contacted and talked with HAMS on the Faroe Islands. Their cards from there are among favorites of my collection.

Thank you for posting the photos of your trip.

73 de WD5DHF (Bob) .... er, Good Luck from WD5DHF (my FCC advanced amateur radio license call, 38 years now)

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:41 AM   #4

Your Iceland travels have been so interesting that I am always looking forward to the next one.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:30 PM   #5

Did you eat Puffin? I tried it in Iceland and wasn't a big fan. I also tried the putrid shark meat Hkarl, which sounds a lot like the lamb dish. They bury a shark in the sand for a few weeks in urine I think and it gets this salted ammonia taste.
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dixon View Post
Fabulous set of images Marcelo.
Thank you John.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
Marcelo, I do hope this will not be your final post of your trip to the Faroes.

I so enjoy seeing them, many years ago when I was active with my HAM HF radio station I contacted and talked with HAMS on the Faroe Islands. Their cards from there are among favorites of my collection.

Thank you for posting the photos of your trip.

73 de WD5DHF (Bob) .... er, Good Luck from WD5DHF (my FCC advanced amateur radio license call, 38 years now)
Bob thank you so much for the kind words, I'm glad you like it, I just don't want to over post my pictures in the forum.

Nice story about the radio experience, I went to a home where they still using it and have a big room just for the old equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Your Iceland travels have been so interesting that I am always looking forward to the next one.
Thank you Steven, I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew881 View Post
Did you eat Puffin? I tried it in Iceland and wasn't a big fan. I also tried the putrid shark meat Hkarl, which sounds a lot like the lamb dish. They bury a shark in the sand for a few weeks in urine I think and it gets this salted ammonia taste.
Drew, the most exotic food I ate was dry sheep and Fulmar ( a kind of seagull) and other interesting plates.

The dry sheep was too strong the smell and the flavor for my taste but Fulmar was really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LUv4sEyfcw
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote