Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 23, 2015, 1:17 PM   #1

Default Ice Houses at Dusk

This is a work in progress for me, I pass this pond on the way to and from work and have found it provides an interesting subject, especially at dusk.

Since it is frozen solid now the ice houses have started to make their way out onto the ice for ice fishing. This minimally constructed sheds are there to provide a bit of shelter and hide the extent of the ice fisher's drinking from their wives should they look from the shore.

So I've visited three times so far and come back with two sets of photos.

This first one I actually posted in another thread but will repost as it was the first attempt with the Rokinon 12mm f2. I liked the colors and composition of this shot but found it just wasn't sharp enough for my taste, possibly because I missed focus, but could be camera shake.

Ice House at Dusk by ramcewan, on Flickr

The second time did not yield anything worth showing as it was past dusk by then.
The third time was yesterday and I tried some brackets and used the 14mm f2.5 to prevent focus issues.

I took two different crops from the same shot, not sure which I like more;

Icehouses III by ramcewan, on Flickr

Ice House at Dusk II by ramcewan, on Flickr

I plan to go back a few more times and may experiment with using a longer focal length from my 14-54, maybe even the 50-200 or the 9-18.

Thoughts and critique requested. I think there is a really interesting shot to be made here so I'd like to work towards that with your helpful input.
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2015, 1:38 PM   #2

I like them, though I see what you mean about #1. Could the lens be fogged up? How cold was it outside and how warm was your car? I know I've gotten a few like that.

If it's another clear sky sunset (we don't get ANY of those around here until about March or so), I think I'd be temped to try one with more sky and less ground, making the "house" a dot in the corner. It might be worth it to look around to see if you can find a place to put something in the foreground too, for something a little different.

I think I like the wider-cropped ones too--I imagine something like this making a nice PC desktop image on a 16x9 screen.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2015, 2:30 PM   #3

Nice ones
I like them all , but I give the edge to the last one
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2015, 3:15 PM   #4

Nice shots, the 1st one is out of focus but for the rest I am with Fred, I like the 3rd shot.

What the ice houses are for?
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:10 PM   #5

Thanks all for the comments. Looks like I won't be back to this composition with the smooth ice any time soon after Juno has dropped a solid 27-28" of snow on us... should make for some interesting draft patterns though

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
Nice shots, the 1st one is out of focus but for the rest I am with Fred, I like the 3rd shot.

What the ice houses are for?
The ice houses are for shelter when ice fishing. The houses have no floor or a hole in the middle of the floor, the ice fishermen use augers to cut 10-12" holes in the ice and then drop fishing lines into the hole. I hear they even catch fish but mostly I understand it to be about getting out of the house and drinking hard liquor with friends. Up in Maine where the lakes really freeze people drive trucks and cars out onto the lakes and bring larger ice houses, even sometimes bringing small generators and TVs with them.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 3:38 PM   #6

The 14 continues to work well for you. I should have bought it years ago.
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
Thanks all for the comments. Looks like I won't be back to this composition with the smooth ice any time soon after Juno has dropped a solid 27-28" of snow on us... should make for some interesting draft patterns though

The ice houses are for shelter when ice fishing. The houses have no floor or a hole in the middle of the floor, the ice fishermen use augers to cut 10-12" holes in the ice and then drop fishing lines into the hole. I hear they even catch fish but mostly I understand it to be about getting out of the house and drinking hard liquor with friends. Up in Maine where the lakes really freeze people drive trucks and cars out onto the lakes and bring larger ice houses, even sometimes bringing small generators and TVs with them.
Interesting, thank you for the explanation.

I need one of those houses, photography is not working lately to go out of the house
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote