Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 2, 2015, 5:47 PM   #1

Default Nightmare with Olympus customer service

So on Jan 21, I sent back my defective 12-40 lens. Sent USPS priority mail, delivery confirmation Jan 23. I sent it back as an exchange, as per their instructions, and was told it would be replaced with another lens.

Waited until Thursday of the next week, and called to see what was up, since you can't track this process online. Was told we don't have it in the warehouse, but wait til Monday, because there was a big snowstorm. Fast forward to Monday. I call back, one person calls the warehouse, doesn't have any answers.

Transfers me to sales. Sales person calls the warehouse. They transfer me to another person. Then they call the warehouse. They come back and asks if I have a tracking number. As in a tracking number that you issued me to send back the lens? Because I had to pay my own money to send back a defective lens. Nope, they just want the USPS tracking number that tells them I sent it back.

So I assume its lost. I ask them if this is the case. They say, "No,we have it here, but we need to see a tracking number to process the exchange." I ask why, since if they have the lens, then clearly they can read the form that I included in the box, and make the exchange. They say we need a tracking number so that we can see what kind of lens it is, and that then they will process the exchange. This makes no sense whatsoever.

Meanwhile, my tracking number is at home, so I get to call them back tomorrow and deal with this again. I've probably spent around 35 minutes of phone time between the 2 times. Has anyone else had to deal with this BS? I get it if you want to check and see if I actually shipped the lens, but just admit that you lost the dumb thing and don't lie to my face and act like I'm trying to scam you when I've spent almost 3000 dollars with your company.
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2015, 6:24 PM   #2

I just tried to submit my complaint to Olympus Customer care. Their fill in the blank online field doesn't work of course. This is borderline unbelievable.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 7:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew881 View Post
I just tried to submit my complaint to Olympus Customer care. Their fill in the blank online field doesn't work of course. This is borderline unbelievable.
Lol sorry for your hassles, Olympus is well known for their optics, not so much for their business skills including customer service.

That said I have had decent response to a question which was my only inquiry to them.

Give them a chance, they may need the tracking number to look up the person/ place it was received in the facility. Deep breaths and friendly patience can go a long way
Old Feb 2, 2015, 7:19 PM   #4

I waited in good faith the last 2 weeks, but man...Should it take a month to replace a broken product? I just saw another refurb 12-40 go up on the getOlympus site. Definitely a bit infuriating.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 1:46 PM   #5

Still no news… they asked for the tracking number again. This is absurd.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 4:34 PM   #6

Man, that sucks to hear. I've been extraordinarily pleased with my 12-40 refurb. Hate seeing you have to go through that.
Green Eyed Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2015, 9:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Eyed Stranger View Post
Man, that sucks to hear. I've been extraordinarily pleased with my 12-40 refurb. Hate seeing you have to go through that.
I agree. You should not have to be going thru such problems just to get a repair.

(I had Olympus repair my 12-60mm lens last year and it was fixed and back in my hands within about 2 weeks with no problems.)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2015, 1:19 PM   #8

It isn't even a repair…It is an exchange! I've seen the lens pop up on the refurb site. I was thinking of just ordering it and then canceling the original exchange, or even disputing it with my credit card. Not sure I'll buy from getolympus.com ever again.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 3:21 PM   #9

Hi Drew,

Sorry to hear you are having problems with the returned lens, you should ask to talk with one of the managers and I think you will have a faster response to your issue.

I just used Olympus tech services one time when I dropped my 8mm fish eye, the service I received was great even they didn't charge me for it.

Good luck.

Last edited by MarceloLI; Feb 11, 2015 at 4:38 PM.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2015, 10:02 AM   #10

Received the new lens. Finally. Still have to update it, but it appears to be working.