Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 4, 2015, 10:16 AM   #1

Default New OMD-E5 Mark II

Tomorrow Olympus is releasing an upgraded version of the OMD-E5.

According with the rumors and Pop Photography it is the same sensor (16 MP) used in the original model but tricked to obtain 40MP (with some limitations) True Pick VII, improved IBIS also better video and added ports for external mic and monitor.

I was hopping for a new 24PM sensor with better Dynamic Range, less noise, I don't care too much about video.

The prices of used OMD-E5's are really low and yesterday a found an almost new with a shutter count of only 1.700 shots for $360, very tempting...!!!

If the rumors and Pop Photography are right I don't think I will upgrade my OMD, the MK I is a fantastic camera and provably I will add a new one to my set.

Have a great day everyone.

Last edited by MarceloLI; Feb 4, 2015 at 11:45 AM.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2015, 11:17 AM   #2

Don't know about how it operates, but I think it's a looker. A bunch of slight improvements the originals.

SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2015, 11:53 AM   #3

I've seen a couple of additions that would be nice, like a 1/16,000 highest electronic (silent) shutter speed, I assume the improved stabilization will assist both in stills as well as video, and I like very much the reorganization of dials and switches more in alignment with the E-M1. When I go back to my E-M5 from the E-M1 that back dial is positioned in a weird place compared to back dial of the E-M1. Now, they're pretty much the same. Hopefully the smaller AF-size boxes will comes with more AF points sort-of like the E-M1 than the further spaced-apart arrangement in the E-M5.

It'll be interesting to see how the firmware upgrade for the E-M1 giving 9 FPS in C-AF mode actually works.

How about the 8mm f1.8 fisheye prime in the Pro series.....interesting.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2015, 12:00 PM   #4

The grip looks like an improvement, too.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2015, 12:13 PM   #5

Adding the E-M1 dual switch on the back is also a nice add to this level camera. Hopefully one of those buttons that can be programmed can be assigned for bracketing purposes.

Monday I signed up for something one rarely has an opportunity to attend....an Olympus-centric seminar regarding the OMD system at the end of February here in Dallas..

http://www.suntomoon.com/pages/Burkh...shop_2015.html

Should be interesting to hear this guy and maybe pick up a tip or two as to how he works with the system.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 1:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I've seen a couple of additions that would be nice, like a 1/16,000 highest electronic (silent) shutter speed, I assume the improved stabilization will assist both in stills as well as video, and I like very much the reorganization of dials and switches more in alignment with the E-M1. When I go back to my E-M5 from the E-M1 that back dial is positioned in a weird place compared to back dial of the E-M1. Now, they're pretty much the same. Hopefully the smaller AF-size boxes will comes with more AF points sort-of like the E-M1 than the further spaced-apart arrangement in the E-M5.

It'll be interesting to see how the firmware upgrade for the E-M1 giving 9 FPS in C-AF mode actually works.

How about the 8mm f1.8 fisheye prime in the Pro series.....interesting.
The new lenses looks interesting, 14-150mm , 8mm 1.8 and the 300mm f4, all those lenses weather sealed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
The grip looks like an improvement, too.
I like the grip, it is an improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Adding the E-M1 dual switch on the back is also a nice add to this level camera. Hopefully one of those buttons that can be programmed can be assigned for bracketing purposes.

Monday I signed up for something one rarely has an opportunity to attend....an Olympus-centric seminar regarding the OMD system at the end of February here in Dallas..

http://www.suntomoon.com/pages/Burkh...shop_2015.html

Should be interesting to hear this guy and maybe pick up a tip or two as to how he works with the system.
Interesting event, please share with us the "good stuff".
Old Feb 4, 2015, 3:53 PM   #7

I hear we will be getting goodies, and I will share....
Old Feb 4, 2015, 8:05 PM   #8

Where are you reading about the lenses?
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2015, 8:34 PM   #9

The 7-14mm also is part of the new lenses we will see this year:

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-new-info...-150mm-lenses/
Old Feb 5, 2015, 11:24 AM   #10

Early hands on review by the camera store is out http://youtu.be/0uQKYgQaNHQ

They speak highly of the improved video functionality. They also do a nice real world test of the super-resolution feature vs. a Pentax 645Z medium format camera showing surprisingly good results for landscape.

I think overall this is a really nice improvement on the original with some nice new features. I think the new style of rotating and outward flipping touch panel is a really good move; it provides the ability to shield the display when not in use, it is more in line with the way videographers would use the camera and it also provides a "selfie" mode.