Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 17, 2015, 6:07 AM   #1

Default More shots to make you feel cold and some birds

A few random shots from the past two weeks;

first we'll do Mt. Washington with the 50-200mm, I applied a Fuji film emulation to this.

Mt, Washington by ramcewan, on Flickr

Also with the 50-200mm some birds, shot at 1/640, f3.5, 200mm and ISO 1000 or so, these were taken during a snowstorm

Cardinal
Cardinal in Snow Storm by ramcewan, on Flickr

Junco
Junco in Tree by ramcewan, on Flickr

Finally some Ice Houses at various stages of sunset/dusk taken with the E-PM2 and the Lumix 14mm f2.5

dusk after a round of snow
Ice House at dusk post storm by ramcewan, on Flickr

Sunset yesterday with the wind kicking up some snow and also having formed some waves over the weekend

Ice Houses at Sunset II by ramcewan, on Flickr

also yesterday with a bit of foreground

Ice Houses at Sunset by ramcewan, on Flickr
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2015, 9:47 AM   #2

Washington looks cold. A hiker just died up there this weekend (on Madison). I need to pick a better day in early March to make the climb.
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2015, 10:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew881 View Post
Washington looks cold. A hiker just died up there this weekend (on Madison). I need to pick a better day in early March to make the climb.
Yeah I read about that hiker, a tragedy but not an unheard of thing in the presidential mountains, Not Without Peril is an interesting read on the history of the presidential mountains of NH that collects short stories of people stuck up there in bad weather.

I can't help but feel like she should not have been alone and also may have had a false sense of safety because she had a rescue beacon with her which she apparently pressed at 3pm the day she got lost. The problem is people think they press the rescue beacon and they'll be saved, but up in those mountains with light fading and wind like we've had there's just no way a rescue team on foot let alone a helicopter is getting to you. I think they were seeing gusts over 100 mph, combined with snow and these temperatures it is just not safe to be out there.

I used to make a yearly pilgrimage to Tuckerman's Ravine every spring mid may, I'd get there on Friday and hike up to the Hojo lean-tos and stay the night, snowboarding the next Saturday. A few years we'd have 70's in the valleys and 60's up there and it was something to behold as hundreds gathered in the bowl while people skied the head wall. The last time I went it was mid 50's in the valleys and when we got up there it was winter conditions. Overnight dropped below 20 degrees and there was fresh snow, the next day the ski patrol deemed the bowl to be too much of an avalanche risk and closed it. We ended up doing two runs on Hillman's Highway which was wind blown powder and pretty good but certainly didn't feel like mid May. After that year kids came into the scene for many of us and the trips to Tuck's ended. I'd still like to head back someday, maybe do gulf of slides end of April or maybe just hike to lunch rocks and watch.

Last edited by ramcewan; Feb 17, 2015 at 12:12 PM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2015, 10:41 AM   #4

p.s. here's a the same shot with the different areas of this side of the mountain labeled
Attached Images

Old Feb 17, 2015, 10:51 AM   #5

I like them all, but I thought I'd point out how nice I think the WB looks. I have a lot of shots of (haha) yellow snow that I can't seem to get right.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2015, 11:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
I like them all, but I thought I'd point out how nice I think the WB looks. I have a lot of shots of (haha) yellow snow that I can't seem to get right.
Thanks Sammy.

For the bird shots I am using a +1.0 EV offset to counter act the more white than neutral grey background.

For the others I usually play around with the WB in LR trying a few of the pre-sets. For the last two Ice House shots I used "cloudy" and "daylight" which actually warmed it up from the heavy blue the in camera WB chose. The other trick I applied in this and other cases when dealing with snow is to selectively lower saturation using a gradient or radial filter, this helps to lessen any cast you might have. Finally reducing the luminance on the blue channel will darken the blues in the sky but also suppress some yellow as it is complimentary. Biggest one I've found to work the best in keeping snow looking white is removing saturation.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 11:57 AM   #7

I'm not a huge fan of the backcountry skiing idea. I don't mind paying my 30-50 bucks on an off day to go to one of the many resorts we have. But I enjoy hiking the peaks. I have 22 of the 48 done, but I'm moving this year in June, so I don't think I'll make all 48 unless I really start hitting up the winter peaks. Right now it just is too cold to be enjoyable.
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2015, 5:45 PM   #8

Those are all nice shots, and I especially like the bird captures.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2015, 2:25 AM   #9

Very nice landscape images and lovely bird shots.
John Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2015, 6:59 AM   #10

You are making really nice use of that 50-200. Love the shots. Man, has it been a brutal winter for you guys or what....wow.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote