Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:55 PM   #1

Default Wildflowers at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center

I was at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center on Easter Sunday (so was Harry Smith, who I met briefly but didn't get to be on TV). I had rotator cuff surgery 6 weeks ago, so that's put a bit of a crimp in my picture taking lately, but I did manage to get a few flowers. With the EP-5 and 12-40 2.8.

It was misty most of the day, but made for some cool effects.

They like their bluebonnets in Texas

Thanks for taking a look!
Green Eyed Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2015, 5:31 PM   #2

Thumbs up

I like those shots; they are very colorful and well composed. I especially like the way the water drops look on the blossoms in shots 1 & 2. Well done.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2015, 6:15 PM   #3

I like the last one especially. I haven't tried many shots to blur the background yet with the 12-40. Is that just the lens and the camera? No extension tubes or anything?
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2015, 10:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
I like those shots; they are very colorful and well composed. I especially like the way the water drops look on the blossoms in shots 1 & 2. Well done.
Thanks for taking a look Steven! It had been one of those misty days before we got there, and even then it was a bit dreary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew881 View Post
I like the last one especially. I haven't tried many shots to blur the background yet with the 12-40. Is that just the lens and the camera? No extension tubes or anything?
Yes, just the lens. I haven't had a chance to play with my extension tubes much yet. Thanks for taking a look!
Old Apr 9, 2015, 12:57 PM   #5

It is Bluebonnet time indeed down here. I would probably be headed down to Ennis and the Bluebonnet Trails this weekend except someone at work asked if I wanted to tag along with him and some others to the Nascar event this Saturday evening at the Texas Motor Speedway, which is an all-day event with the race starting at 6:30pm. Gotta go at least once just to see what it's all about. That, and this is one event/sports venue where they actually allow ordinary people bring a camera bag and lenses like the 40-150mm f2.8 in .
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2015, 5:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
It is Bluebonnet time indeed down here. I would probably be headed down to Ennis and the Bluebonnet Trails this weekend except someone at work asked if I wanted to tag along with him and some others to the Nascar event this Saturday evening at the Texas Motor Speedway, which is an all-day event with the race starting at 6:30pm. Gotta go at least once just to see what it's all about. That, and this is one event/sports venue where they actually allow ordinary people bring a camera bag and lenses like the 40-150mm f2.8 in .
Go and have fun, Greg. There are no restrictions of any kind on the photo equipment that you bring to a Nascar race. It is a spectacle of sound and colors. I'm a big fan and attend many races, including the Daytona 500 each year. The problem you are going to have is that it is a night race. When watching a night race on television it seems like the lights are very bright. But the television makes it seem much brighter than it actually is. So try to get a lot of photographs in the daylight and early evening when the lighting is much better. You definitely will have to bump the ISO up when shooting with only the track lighting at night. I hope that you have good seats. (If you are not familiar with the sport and the strategy, teams, and drivers, some of it may be confusing at times. But I think you will have fun.)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2015, 10:20 PM   #7

nice colors! wish I had them here

Best of luck with the rotator cuff, I went through that back in '92. Back then they basically cut your arm half way off and then re-attached it... lol... I have a scar from my shoulder down to my armpit on that arm... I hear these days they just put a few small holes and do the whole thing othroscopically... probably using Olympus medical imaging equipment too!

Was really funny in the fall I had to have an upper endoscopy, basically a camera tube down your throat, as I lay on my side the last thing I saw before the anesthesia kicked in was a rack of Olympus medical imaging equipment... I remember thinking that was good
Old Apr 10, 2015, 3:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
You guys are going to have to stop posting the 40-150 pics. I'm still hurting from the 12-40 purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
nice colors! wish I had them here

Best of luck with the rotator cuff, I went through that back in '92. Back then they basically cut your arm half way off and then re-attached it... lol... I have a scar from my shoulder down to my armpit on that arm... I hear these days they just put a few small holes and do the whole thing othroscopically... probably using Olympus medical imaging equipment too!

Was really funny in the fall I had to have an upper endoscopy, basically a camera tube down your throat, as I lay on my side the last thing I saw before the anesthesia kicked in was a rack of Olympus medical imaging equipment... I remember thinking that was good
Yeah, things have changed I basically have 4 small scars all around the shoulder. Took maybe 6 stitches total. Don't remember seeing the imaging equipment, but you're probably right! Thanks for the comments!
Old Apr 12, 2015, 11:42 AM   #9

I really like the third one ! Great shot

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote