Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Apr 9, 2015, 9:13 PM   #1

Default some winter color... been a long one

Well it has been a long winter this year with snow falling last night marking the 5th straight month of white precipitation in this neck of the woods with the first being a foot right before thanksgiving... and I for one have had more than enough!

To be honest I haven't found myself much wanting to take pictures nor having much to take pictures of, with daylight savings switch and the longer days I don't get the sunset/dusk shots on the way to and from work. Also seems like the brutality of this winter has kept the birds mostly hunkered down.

In fact I think this was the first chance I had to capture my favorite the north american eastern bluebird. This pair should be familiar by now to folks as I've been shooting them for past three winters. Originally there was another pair but no sign of them this year, I sensed they were older and this younger pair has pushed them out, that or one of my neighbors has found the food they like (which I've been trying to keep secret )

Female bluebird by ramcewan, on Flickr

Male Bluebird by ramcewan, on Flickr

Did also catch this cute little finch, I believe a gold finch either female or male non-breeding plumage.

20150405-P4050024 by ramcewan, on Flickr

20150405-P4050023 by ramcewan, on Flickr

20150405-P4050035 by ramcewan, on Flickr

And now this is what I've been mostly up to this winter! A shot of a beer from a small brewery for which my high school buddy is the master brewer. Really tasty stuff if you find yourself in the Hudson river valley about 2 hours north of NYC I highly recommend checking it out and the historic town of Chatham, NY.

Chatham Brewing 8 Barrel Ale by ramcewan, on Flickr

All shots taken with the E-M1 and the 50-200mm ... birds were cropped and shot through a double pane of glass, dialed in +1EV for compensation of the snowy background... gotta say I keep this lens on the camera pretty much always as it suits my shooting pretty well, when it's off I've probably got the 14-54 on. Handy combo that can probably do all I need.
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2015, 9:13 PM   #2

GREAT! Just a fine set of photographs.

I don''t use my 50-200 as much now as I did when shooting the E-3. I have been using the 40-150 quite a bit but only for close up shooting it seems but with the MC-14 TC it then becomes my lightweight 56-210.

I do use the 14-54 a lot and April 18th I am shooting my granddaughter's pre-prom for her and her friends couples. For that I will use the 14-54 and 9-18.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2015, 10:47 PM   #3

You've got yourself quite a style for shooting those birds. Very nice. I'd take just one of those.

When do your Friday nights with the classic autos start, Bob? Hope things are going well. It's been a while.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2015, 6:07 AM   #4

Bob, thank you for checking them out. I used the 14-54 for my daughter's pre-prom and it worked perfectly. That should be a great lens for your granddaughter. I'll be shooting my daughter's graduation in a couple of weeks and will be using the 50-200 and 14-54 extensively I am sure.

Greg, thank you! Looking back I think you are right I have established a style for my birding shots, certainly influenced by the comments here that have helped me to dial in the exposure correctly for the often snow covered background. I still have one spot of snow in my yard from where the pile stood almost 20 feet, next few days are bringing rain and should wash it all away. Beginning to think I've had enough of these winters... I hear Texas has a similar streak to my live free or die state, going to have to check it out one of these days
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:51 AM   #5

Nice shots, ramcewan. And glad that you are finally thawing out!!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote