Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jun 11, 2015, 6:49 PM   #21

At least someone has had some luck with Olympus. They probably have you file flagged as super important, with all the money you spend with them.
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2015, 7:18 AM   #22

Well, not too important! I head for the airport this morning to go visit my daughter, no Zuiko 7-14 in-hand. Guess I'll have to "make do" with the Panasonic 7-14, LOL.

I anticipate the confirming email of shipment about 30 minutes after takeoff.....

The "charge" has gone on and off the card a couple of times. I guess just Olympus confirming I still want on the list.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2015, 9:27 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Well, not too important! I head for the airport this morning to go visit my daughter, no Zuiko 7-14 in-hand. Guess I'll have to "make do" with the Panasonic 7-14, LOL.

I anticipate the confirming email of shipment about 30 minutes after takeoff.....

The "charge" has gone on and off the card a couple of times. I guess just Olympus confirming I still want on the list.
Well, missed it by a couple of days. Got the email today. It should be in Dallas by Friday. Of course, I am in New Jersey until Sunday, July 5, LOL....not really. Down in Virginia right now, making the tour of Civil War battlefields and really would have liked having it with me...

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jun 24, 2015 at 9:28 PM. Reason: Spelling edits
Old Jun 26, 2015, 10:04 PM   #24

Congratulations on the new lens! I 'm looking forward to see some great sample pictures!
Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2015, 7:44 AM   #25

Lens arrived in Dallas yesterday. Had a co-worker Fedex to my daughter's home so I will have it in-hand when I drive from Virginia back up there tomorrow. Can't wait.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 8:19 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Lens arrived in Dallas yesterday. Had a co-worker Fedex to my daughter's home so I will have it in-hand when I drive from Virginia back up there tomorrow. Can't wait.

.....that will be handy, I could use it today/tomorrow and text you for 'how it worked & how much I liked it'.

FT 9-18 this weekend to shoot 'HAM Field Day' ==> http://tinyurl.com/7p4hecf.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jul 2, 2015 at 8:32 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2015, 11:44 AM   #27

Shoot, that is too bad you didn't get it for your vacation. I want to start saving up for this lens though. I think I would pretty much be set for most of my needs. I wonder how much a used panasonic 25mm goes for? I usually don't sell lenses and instead give them to my mom for her EPL1, but I could use a couple hundred to offset the 7-14 cost.
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2015, 4:54 PM   #28

I will be back at my daughter's home and have the 7-14 Zuiko for this next week.

Today I was at The Wilderness Civil War battlefield, totting around the E-M1 and 12-40 through some long walks in fields with pouring down rain. No need worrying about it with the body/lens sealing. Like a Timex, it just kept ticking and ticking. That was a lot if fun.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 3:39 PM   #29

7-14mm f2.8 is in the bag!

The Billingham Hadley Pro bag I have with me on this trip looks made for the E-M1 and the three f2.8 Pro zooms. They fit like a glove and the height of the bag is perfect for the 40-150, stored face-down, with the hood extended and front cap off, so ready to pull out and shoot. What a sweet setup. Also nice to see the cap for the 7-14 f2.8 Zuiko locks into place. Build quality is as superb and the 12-40 and 40-150.

Some initial snaps with the 7-14 look pretty darn good and "straight". Will be getting it out tomorrow for the initial serious shooting, starting with the Hindenburg Museum and Hanger 1 at Lakehurst.

*edit- well, the museum is only open Wednesdays, so something else first....

A 19th Century community, complete with foundry, near my daughter's home in Mount Holly, NJ.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jul 1, 2015 at 9:14 AM.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:14 AM   #30

Couple of initial obervations- The lens is smooth as butter to zoom, and pulling back the manual focus ring and focusing, the infinity mark seems smack dab on infinity, making this a great lens for just setting straight there if infinity is what you want. By comparison, the infinity setting on my other two Pro lenses are not quite as accurate, infinity being a little short of the mark on the lens.

At 14mm, the front lens element is set back the furthest, moving forward as you zoom all the way to 7mm, where just a small amount of hood is still extended and useful for protecting the front element. In contrast, the Panasonic 7-14 lens moves in and out as you zoom through the range so the mechanicals work quite differently on the two lenses.

I'll get some images up as soon as I am home next Sunday and can get some files processed, both images shot with the Zuiko and comparison shots of the two 7-14's and the three Pro Zuikos relative to each other, but they look impressive on the back LCD.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jul 1, 2015 at 9:21 AM.