Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:15 AM   #11

Sammy, Marcelo, Bob, VtPhotog, Folob, Fred and Greg,

Thank you for your kind words and thoughts, it is a sad thing to lose a good friend. My wife is absolutely devastated, this being her first dog and it happening so fast it just really hit her hard.

Sandy was a rescue dog, brought up north from a kill shelter in the South, I try reminding her that by adopting her and supporting the rescue organization we gave her 10+ years should would not have had otherwise, but it is still little solace for a broken heart.

In researching the disease we were shocked to find that fully 20% of golden retrievers succumb to this type of cancer called Hemangiosarcoma. It is also equally common in other breads such as the Portuguese water dog. Understanding the disease and the speed with which it spreads and causes anemia helps to understand why she slipped away so quickly. We've made a donation as did our vet to research funding to help find a cure or at least a way of identifying and breeding it out of the population.

I'm hopeful in time that we'll adopt another dog.

Thanks again for sharing in the joy she brought.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 9:30 PM   #12

When I started dating Katherine 19 years ago (jeez), she had three dogs, and has since owned anywhere from 3-4 at most any time. She's down to one now. I've watched her have to put down 6 of her babies, most of them not passing away of old age, 3 from cancer, one of those at 8 years old. I had to put my 18 year-old kitty down 3 years ago now (wow, really?). It's never easy. I never picked up another after the one.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:38 PM   #13

Our dogs are quite amazing, they give us so much pleasure and joy. And even when they are nearing the end, they still manage to give us a smile. Ramce, take comfort in knowing that the spirit of Sandy will always be with you. With these pictures she will just be a click away
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2015, 9:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
When I started dating Katherine 19 years ago (jeez), she had three dogs, and has since owned anywhere from 3-4 at most any time. She's down to one now. I've watched her have to put down 6 of her babies, most of them not passing away of old age, 3 from cancer, one of those at 8 years old. I had to put my 18 year-old kitty down 3 years ago now (wow, really?). It's never easy. I never picked up another after the one.
I had dogs when I was a kid and they passed while I was off at college. My wife and I had a cat that made it 18 years before we had to say good bye, she had gotten sick when she was 14 with kidney disease and we nursed her on to another 4 years, which made it a bit easier as we had already come to terms with losing her. This was my wife's first dog, she's like you, scared of getting another because of fear of having to say good bye. Like you said it's never easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KulaCube View Post
Our dogs are quite amazing, they give us so much pleasure and joy. And even when they are nearing the end, they still manage to give us a smile. Ramce, take comfort in knowing that the spirit of Sandy will always be with you. With these pictures she will just be a click away
Thanks Kula that is a good way to see it, we've already put a picture of her in a frame on the mantle with the words, "you have left my life but you will never leave my heart". I'm glad I took the pictures I took and wished I had more but they are a tangible link. Thank you for your kind words.