Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jul 11, 2015, 8:15 PM   #1

Default Owl baby!! and a few others

Hey folks, sorry I have not been around much, been a busy summer, my daughter graduated (the 50-200 worked perfectly in the auditorium, and the paid photog was using an e-m1 w/12-40!!) and of course we lost Sandy... but I have found some time to do some shooting.

Well if you remember this spring I posted a shot of two barred owls on a tree... as these things go 2 owls has led to another!

Right around dusk we've noticed that the barred owl we are used to seeing has decided to make the trees around our front lawn a hunting ground. We watched the owl sit in the tree and a couple of times swoop down to catch a varmit (I also witnessed it take a poop and cough up a pellet which is less cool )...

Barred Owl on the Prowl by ramcewan, on Flickr

So as we'd watch the adult hunt we noticed it made a high pitched shriek which seemed to be answered back by another in the tree. We were delighted with the views we were getting and the owl seemed to be less and less concerned with my pointing the 50-200mm at it.

Adult Barred Owl by ramcewan, on Flickr

Adult Barred Owl by ramcewan, on Flickr

Well after several evenings one night we saw the source of the calling back, it was a juvenile/fledgling owl. First we saw an adult bring a kill up to a tall tree and we could see something in the tree moved when the adult came back. Then much to our delight one night the little one came out to a tree over the driveway. Not only was I able to get a few shots but we watched as the two adults both came in and then one of them fed the little guy via regurgitation... a very special and cool thing to witness and I felt lucky to capture a few shots all with the 50-200. These were also all shot at dusk and have been pushed 1+ EV or more to brighten the scene.

Fledgling Barred Owl by ramcewan, on Flickr

Fledgling Barred Owl by ramcewan, on Flickr

Fledgling Owl Looking for a Feeding by ramcewan, on Flickr
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2015, 8:20 PM   #2

let's see I also got a new car, first in 12 years, as I handed off my accord to my daughter who is working nearly full time, it's a 2014 Toyota Highlander, I bought it used with 17k miles, it has all the driver tech stuff like radar cruise and lane departure alarm, which is really cool. (p.s. If all goes well I'll drive this for 10+ years)

New vehicle by ramcewan, on Flickr

And finally last weekend I made it up to Maine for the first time this year and had an opportunity to try the Rokinon 12mm f2.0 for some Astro. Still more improvements to be made but did capture a shooting star and maybe a few satellites with 15 second exposures at ISO 6400, hopefully we'll get some more milky way as the summer progresses.

big dipper

Long Lake Big Dipper by ramcewan, on Flickr

shooting star

Long Lake Shooting Star by ramcewan, on Flickr

Last edited by ramcewan; Jul 11, 2015 at 9:51 PM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2015, 9:55 AM   #3

Excellent owl images! Beautiful creatures.

Great strategy on the vehicles, too. Just think of all that money you can now other things with, LOL....
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2015, 10:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Excellent owl images! Beautiful creatures.

Great strategy on the vehicles, too. Just think of all that money you can now other things with, LOL....
Thanks Greg, yes we buy our vehicles to drive for a long time and try to make sure we have only 1 payment at a time. My wife's Lexus RX has just under 100k miles and was paid off last fall, hoping to make it another 4 years on that car as we put the daughter through college, then mine will be paid off and she can get a new one and maybe sell the Lexus to my daughter as it should still have some life left. It amazes me the number of people who just accept always having a car payment and start itching for a new car every four years, today's cars are so reliable that it really makes sense to drive them longer.

Oh and on the Owls, looks like I was wrong, there are two juvenile owls, found both of them roosting in a tree together this morning.

Juvenile barred owl pair by ramcewan, on Flickr
Old Jul 12, 2015, 5:45 PM   #5

Thumbs up

This whole thread is just totally cool with super photos. Great shots and interesting commentary make every entry worth viewing!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2015, 7:21 PM   #6

Thanks Steven, glad you enjoy the commentary! Here's another neat little sequence that shows the juveniles aren't quite flying with the grace and composure of the adults.

hmm... I think I'd like to move to that branch... ready

beginner flier by ramcewan, on Flickr

set

made it!

Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:32 AM   #7

These are great man. You're really lucky to see them.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:36 PM   #8

Beautiful pictures especially you took the pictures of the owls under the shade of a tree. I think the owls pictures will look even better if you dodge the eyes to make them looking a little brighter. I took the liberty of adjusting the brightness of the eyes in one of your pictures. I hope you don't mind me doing that.
Attached Images

Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.

Last edited by WCKSer; Jul 13, 2015 at 1:46 PM.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2015, 8:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCKSer View Post
Beautiful pictures especially you took the pictures of the owls under the shade of a tree. I think the owls pictures will look even better if you dodge the eyes to make them looking a little brighter. I took the liberty of adjusting the brightness of the eyes in one of your pictures. I hope you don't mind me doing that.
Hi WCKSer, thank you for the comments, I do not mind you editing my photo at all. However the final result I find a little unrealistic. These shots are all taken in the shade and many at dusk when the forest is dark, I have pushed these 1+ or more EV to make them more visible, the SOOC JPGs are quite dark. The other thing I've noticed is that Owl's don't have much of an Iris and if they do it's dark, in person when they're looking at you it is like staring into a black hole, somewhat unsettling

Anyhow I do appreciate your comments and critique.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 7:45 AM   #10

Fantastic series, love the owl shots, very sharp and great expressions.

Congratulations on the new car, 17K miles is almost new..!!
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote