Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jul 17, 2015, 10:00 PM   #1

Default More Juvenile Owls - high ISO.. e-m1 gotz that!

Well if you read my other thread you'd have seen that the barred owl I have occasionally captured managed to pair up this spring with another owl and the two have now produced a pair of offspring.

Not sure what to say other than I am lucky to live in a place where the wildlife has deemed my back yard to be suitable habitat. We feel blessed to be able to see these little owls in our back woods.

The past few nights of this week we have heard the high pitched screech of the hungry babies around 6-6:30pm with plenty of light. I've watched the smaller of the two adults (we believe that is mom) swoop down from the tall pine and skim across my back lawn as I am grilling dinner heading out to take perch for hunting.

Shortly after mom has gone on the hunt the two little ones begin to come down to the trees around the back yard. They're still awkward but learning to fly.

All shots taken with the 50-200mm MK I

For example I watched as this little guy tried to follow mom but ended up half way short landing on this tree branch with a bit of a crash, looking at me like it meant to do that. (ISO 4000)

juvenile barred owl by ramcewan, on Flickr

We've seen the two of them perch in a tree together (ISO 6400 1/400 BTW)

Juvenile Barred Owl Pair by ramcewan, on Flickr

They've looked at me as the strange hairless animal that comes out with curiosity (ISO 6400 at 1/200)

Juvenile Barred Owl Pair by ramcewan, on Flickr

I've been really enjoying the capability of this 50-200 on the e-m1, it has opened up shots I would never have been able to make before like this ISO 3200 shot at 1/500 of one of the juveniles mid scream.

juvenile barred owl by ramcewan, on Flickr

Last edited by ramcewan; Jul 17, 2015 at 10:25 PM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2015, 10:05 PM   #2

Even at ISO 6400 and with crop I am finding the results totally presentable such as this shot of the mother standing guard as one of the juveniles eats the kill she just brought back

Mom feeding juvenile barred owl by ramcewan, on Flickr

But probably the most amazing thing is when the mother leaves the two juveniles have decided on 4 of the last nights that the wooden trellis I built for my tomatoes is a perfect spot to come and sit, again at ISO 6400.

juvenile barred owl pair by ramcewan, on Flickr

I even was able to shoot a bit of video with the E-M1 and the 50-200, again at ISO 6400. Is it as good as a Sony A-7S, hell no, but I'll be damned if it isn't good enough to wow everyone I've shown. There is sound, you may here people but you will also hear them, you'll have to click through to flickr to watch.

P7140031 by ramcewan, on Flickr

Like I said we feel really luck to watch these little buggers growing up before our eyes. I lost focus on this last video, I'm far from a videographer but still amazing what the e-m1 can render in very low light.

P7140026 by ramcewan, on Flickr

Last edited by ramcewan; Jul 17, 2015 at 10:24 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 3:11 PM   #3

Another great series, and low light at that!! Looks like you have your own nature preserve right in your back yard. Well done.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2015, 5:57 PM   #4

Cool Owl shots, ramcewan
VERY nice low light shots
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:40 AM   #5

Wow, so beautiful..!!

You are so lucky to have this opportunities to capture with your camera.

Love the set.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2015, 9:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Another great series, and low light at that!! Looks like you have your own nature preserve right in your back yard. Well done.
Thanks Fred - you know we have taken steps to curb pesticide, herbicide and even fungicide use in our yard, I also don't use things like D-con for mice, instead using mechanical traps. I can't say it for sure makes a difference but it makes me feel better when I see these young animals about what I am doing to the environment they live in. For example - I have found that white vinegar (4 gallons ) mixed with salt (1lb 10oz container) and sprayed with a sprayer works every bit as well as roundup for killing vegetation in unwanted places at a lower cost and lower impact to the environment. Likewise we've inoculated our lawn with milky spore over the past decade so we don't have to use grub control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredS View Post
Cool Owl shots, ramcewan
VERY nice low light shots
yes, I am really happy with the performance of the E-M1 and the 50-200mm in these shots, certainly miles better than the old 12mp PL2 and 70-300!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
Wow, so beautiful..!!

You are so lucky to have this opportunities to capture with your camera.

Love the set.
Thanks Marcelo!

Last edited by ramcewan; Jul 21, 2015 at 9:41 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:05 PM   #7

p.s. here's one more of Momma

Momma Barred Owl by ramcewan, on Flickr

Haven't seen them all week I think they're probably expanding their hunting grounds now that the juveniles are getting flying, which is good but I wish they'd pop by again