Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:29 PM   #1

Default Discover at the Udvar Hazy center

I was driving through DC and had a chance to visit the Udvar Hazy Center this last week. The Space Shuttle is probably one of the most amazing things I have seen. I did not expect it to be so huge.

I'm pretty sure a few of you have posted photos on here in the past of this museum. I'll try to track down the links and revisit them to compare shots.

All of these shots were taken with the 12-40 at around 4-5pm. It seems to be a good time at the museum to shoot the shuttle, but not the SR 71. It was a bit crowded, but I like having the people in the shot to give scale.

Anyway, I'm fairly happy with how these came out. Perhaps I need to work on noise adjustments and make them a bit less grainy.
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:37 PM   #2

What nice captures! What a good combination: The Space Shuttle and the Blackbird! Well done.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:57 PM   #3

I was hoping to get back there last month, but that day turned out to not be a good day. What a fun place when I did go with my daughter a couple of years ago. The shuttle and the Blackbird were awesome, but the size of that B29 Enola Gay was amazing, trying to imagine seeing 100-200 of those things flying overhead and unloading their payload on my head.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2015, 2:12 PM   #4

Thanks Steven! Greg, what time of the day did you go? The museum had a sign in the front apologizing that they are fixing the lighting. I'm not sure how dark it usually is or if that was just the time of day. I went after 4 pm when the parking is free. Here is a photo of the main concourse to show how dark it was:

Old Aug 5, 2015, 2:21 PM   #5

Also just realized the 7-14 lens would have been great for the rear shot. I'd be able to get the tail in.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 6:59 PM   #6

We were there middle part of the day, and the widest lens I had with me was the 12mm f2, which was what I used to capture the two images below. Yes, the 7-14 would be great for several subjects in this building, including the blackbird, shuttle, Concorde and the B29.

I need to get back out with my E-M1 outfit. I've been playing with a Leica M9 setup for a month now since returning from the visit with my daughter and haven't played with the 7-14/2.8 Zuiko locally at all.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Aug 7, 2015 at 10:46 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:10 AM   #7

Those look great. I like #3 most I think. So much detail . . . i know what you mean about NR, but I would be worried that using too much would take away some of that. I can see it but it's nothing that bothers me personally (at least at this size)
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2015, 9:05 PM   #8

Wow, what a great shots Drew, love the last one from the blackbird.

Very nice compositions with great balance of color and contrast.

Thank you for sharing.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote