Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:33 PM   #1

Default Moon Rise and Sun Rise

It’s late August and we often have an interesting moonrise at this time of year. So off we go down to the harbour to wait for the moon rise. Not having an extra long lens to capture the moon it’s glory, I’m shooting for the “environment” of the moon rise. And it is a murky night with a thickening haze along the horizon.

This first shot shows the moon just off centre to the left. Luckily a power boat is entering the harbour, but he cut his throttles early so he has barely entered the frame for the 15 second exposure.

Next I doubled the exposure time to 30 seconds as the moon started to enter some cloud.

By now my wife had returned from walking the dogs and there was nothing more to be seen out over the lake, so I turned around realized I had been facing in the wrong direction all along. This is a study of the Town’s water rescue co-ordination centre. Shot at f8, 60 seconds.

Foolishly, I was up early the next morning to catch the sunrise. And what a stunner!

Okay, maybe not. The haze over the lake just hid the sun till it was well up above the horizon. These fellows were more concerned about the potential for fishing...

Lighthouse at the end of the pier

Next day tried again and same atmosphere convinced me to walk the dogs instead at another park along the lake. As we were walking away from the water, turned for one last look and captured my “potd”

All shot with the E-PL1 with the magnificent m.Zuiko 14-42mm L ED Kit MK1 and the workmanlike m.Zuiko 40-150mm f/4-5.6 on a tripod except the last which was handheld (quite the feat with the dog's leads in one hand). Always having fun
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2015, 11:41 AM   #2

Images 4-7 are winners in my book. 6 and 7 particularly.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2015, 5:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Images 4-7 are winners in my book. 6 and 7 particularly.
I like them all, but particularly shots number 4 and 7.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2015, 7:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
I like them all, but particularly shots number 4 and 7.
Very nice set, I agree with Steven #4 is my favorite.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2015, 6:14 PM   #5

Greg, Steven, Marcelo, thanks for the comments. Always fun to hear what others think of the photos one posts here. And now that the dawn is coming at a more reasonable hour, I think I will be heading down to the lake for more dawn photography. Cheers
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote