Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:16 PM   #11

[QUOTE=Greg Chappell; Just dropped it off at Hobby Lobby for mounting and framing[/QUOTE]

I'll bet it will look great with the Wyoming frames you've got hanging in your office, please post a pic of your walls.............

'Ghost Town' ... that is a fairly apt description.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:42 PM   #12

It's supposed to be ready the 20th. I'll snap an image of the two together when I first take it up there, but I think I'll have to wind up keeping only one of them in my office, they are so big. The office head may let me hang one of them elsewhere on the floor.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:05 PM   #13

What absolutely gorgeous photos! Great work on these, Greg.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2015, 8:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
It's supposed to be ready the 20th. I'll snap an image of the two together when I first take it up there, but I think I'll have to wind up keeping only one of them in my office, they are so big. The office head may let me hang one of them elsewhere on the floor.
How about the conference room, it looks like all windows & doors but maybe set a couple on easels. Tell the office head 'fans' want to see"....... lol

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2015, 12:35 PM   #15

Wonderful photos. I don't know how you chose which image to print of the Maroon Bells, both very interesting views. Really love the second shot, were the aspens trembling? ;-) Much more scenic views than I managed on my trip to Aspen some years back (spent most of my time in a recording studio).
Were you using the 12-40 mainly, or did you break out that wide angle?
And as to this being a ghost town, heck, everyone is out taking advantage of the wonderful light at this time of year
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2015, 1:46 PM   #16

Thanks Kula!

By a wide margin, the 12-40 was the most-used lens, but the 7-14 got more than it's share of use too. At the other end, the least used by quite a bit was the 40-150.

The pick for the print came down to looking closely at the details and the print is definitely chalk-full of great detail. Some of the wider views displayed more color, but I liked the combination of what color there was in the file I chose, plus being zoomed in a little closer, more micro detail is revealed in the mountains and foreground.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 7:56 PM   #17

Stunning colors and beautiful scenery, I agree the two bells is worth printing large!

Sorry I haven't been around too much, have to admit that my workplace has marked smugmug and sometimes Flickr as social media, meaning I am blocked from seeing linked images at work. Makes Steve's a lot less enjoyable at work when I can't see linked images. That said I have to just make it a point to visit when at home.

So how do you like the 7-14? I've been wanting one more and more.. In fact it has pushed the 12-40 off the next up spot on my list ... Lol ... With a kid in college now it maybe 4 years before I get it but at least I know what's next!
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:10 AM   #18

Flickr has been "flagged" for a while at my office. Steve's site has even been not been viewable at times. Not quite sure what's going on there. You'd think it either would be, or wouldn't.

The 7-14 M. Zuiko is a very nice lens. Been posting a fairly steady stream of images to this page that's dedicated to it, although I've not sent any of the Colorado images there yet.

https://gmchappell.smugmug.com/Other...ko-7-14mm-f28/

The big hunk of a front element is very prone to catching sun rays and flaring if you are not careful, and I try and keep it level both horizontally and vertically to minimize the super-wide distortion. If something is too close to the edges and up close nothing will prevent some amount of distortion. If you catch the corona of the sun behind something, even if it right in the field of view you can shoot without fear of flare..

The worst-offending subjects for flare are ones where the sun is just outside the field of view. When the lens is zoomed to 7mm the front element is closest to the outer edges of the built-in hood and you can wind up with multi-colored flare "bubbles" that run partially across the images. If it's the type landscape where they are in the sky, those are easily fixed. It's when they run across structures that they are harder. I did not load the flare'd copy of this image, just the one where I corrected the little bubbles that were running across the upper steeple..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Oct 15, 2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 9:12 PM   #19

well those look pretty good and had you not told me about the correction in the last I would not have known, side light is definitely a consideration with wide angles and even more so with the big front element of the 7-14.