Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 14, 2015, 8:30 PM   #1

Default Milky way shots with E-M1 and 12mm f2.0

Towards the end of August those with dark skies will note that the milky way begins to appear in the sky. I have been waiting since February for this to happen so I can try out my new Rokinon 12mm f2.0, a lens I bought for this purpose.

Taking shots like these are an exercise in patience, first you take the shots with what you think are the right settings and the after minutes turn into hours in front of the computer trying to post process you realize you had the wrong settings and your night of shooting is a hopeless mess. Luckily Olympus sent out some tips by one of their explorers that helped point me in the right direction. As he was using the Olympus 12mm f2.0 with an E-M1 I could pretty much use the same settings; 20 seconds, ISO 3200, tripod (of course), 12 second delay and stabilization off.

Without further ado here are my two best works, not completely happy but I am convinced that this camera has the capability to make some great images and I enjoyed the challenge of making these images. Both taken in Maine on Long Lake where the skies are bit darker than home.

First a single shot taken in portrait orientation

Milky Way over Long Lake by ramcewan, on Flickr

Second is a 5 shot composite taken in landscape mode, panning up. For this one I post processed the foreground to produce a natural long exposure look and processed the upper shots to highlight the milky way. This is always a challenge as you need to process very differently for the milky way and you end up wrecking the foreground, a composite image seems to solve that . I then dumped them into MS ICE and let it combine them. Unfortunately there is an artifact (see if you see it) that is making me think I need to go back and combine the images manually.

Milky Way over boat by ramcewan, on Flickr

Hope you liked them!
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:26 PM   #2

These are excellent starts. better than anything I've attempted, which is very little.

There are four planets starting to come together in the morning sky...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/its-a-gr...ury-heres-how/

I think I'm going to get out around 4:30am before I have to start getting ready for work and try to capture them from the deck of my third-floor apartment. Three of them have been very visible this week in the pre-dawn sky.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2015, 2:45 PM   #3

Awesome. I have the same lens and had tried a few this summer (when I was shooting the meteor shower). I didn't have the advice for ISO, etc. but from what I could get it seemed like 15 seconds was a little better as far as star-trailing goes. I didn't use a delay but I have a wired remote. Maybe I'll try to dig some of them up this evening and we can compare notes. What processing did you do?

The shots weren't as good as yours in general though. I liked my shooting star shot but of course with the shorter exposure the milky way wasn't as visible. Well, that, and I was like ten miles from the airport.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2015, 9:09 PM   #4

Thanks Greg and Sammy I appreciate the feedback and will have to see if I can check out the planetary opportunity you linked to, although I tend to do my astro shots late night as opposed to early morning

Sammy I've been using this guide for post processing http://www.lonelyspeck.com/how-to-ma...ky-way-galaxy/

I've found it to be pretty good for the basic LR steps.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 9:34 PM   #5

Those are definitely better than my night-shot attempts.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2015, 7:50 PM   #6

Very nice shots ramcewan, I should give it a try one of this nights with my OMD.

Thank you for sharing.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2015, 3:57 PM   #7

Wow VERY nice ramcewan
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote