Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 25, 2015, 12:03 PM   #1

Default Seattle with the 14-150mm MKII

I visited Seattle and Vancouver last week and I grabbed the OMD5 with the new 14-150mm MKII in case the weather don't let me use my Nikon equipment.

I was lucky the weather was so beautiful but I had the chance to snap some shots with the Olympus and test the new lens.

The 14-150mm is a very sharp lens and versatile, it will be part of my trips and bad weather adventures.

Thank you so much to Gilles for all the info and tips for my travel to Vancouver, I visited all the places he suggested with exception of the Public Library.

This one shoot at 6:30 AM with no filter just the bare lens at ISO 100, f10 for 6 seconds.

Last edited by MarceloLI; Oct 25, 2015 at 8:05 PM.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2015, 9:19 AM   #2

Ah, Vancouver. One of my favorite all-time trips.

I have a copy of the original 14-150. From around 16-17mm to 120mm or so, it's excellent. 14mm shows some pretty awful softness outside the middle of the frame, and not just into the far corners. No doubt if I had sampled multiple copies, I could have found a better one. While I was using it I often paired it up with the 9-18 and just made sure to use that lens within it's full range, going with the 14-150 only above 18mm.

I have played around with the 14-150 again since picking up the E-M5II. Unfortunately, my opinion hasn't changed about it. 14mm is a relatively modest wide setting to not be any better a performer than the copy I have.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2015, 12:09 PM   #3

Hi Greg,

I understand the MKII version has the same optics of the old one with exception of the lens coating and the weather sealing, I found the lens very sharp in all the apertures but I think I didn't have the chance to shoot it at 14mm so I can't comment about it.

I didn't expect too much about this lens but I am happy with the performance so far, I had in consideration the 12-40mm f2.8 and 150mm f2.8 that I know for sure it will out perform this zoom but I still have some strength to carry my big heavy Nikon lenses :-)

BTW the picture belongs to Downtown Seattle and not Vancouver.

Last edited by MarceloLI; Oct 26, 2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 12:12 PM   #4

The Space Needle and the Mt. Rainier for background.

Hand held at 47mm, f5.5, 1/60, ISO 500

Old Oct 26, 2015, 5:07 PM   #5

That's one beautiful shot of the city and volcano. What a view-point.

Its been long enough ago that we were in Vancouver (2004) I couldn't tell you Vancouver from Seattle without the Needle and the volcano.

We were all over the place, stayed at a hotel very close to the huge park and Lion's Gate Bridge. Great seafood. Having to wait for the ferry's for certain trips was a unique experience. Made day trips to Whistler and back east to Chilliwack to see Hell's Gate. Bicycles everywhere. In the city, and on the highways.

One of our clients climbed Rainier last year. Sent a cool video of waking up above the clouds before the final ascent.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:20 AM   #6

Thank you Greg,

It was shot from Kerry Park, it is on a small hill that give you a beautiful view of the Seattle Downtown and Mt. Rainier for background. Considering that Seattle has a lot of rain I was very lucky to get a beautiful weather and some colors that afternoon.

This one is Harbor Island and Mt. Rainier:

The EMP Museum:

The morning we left Seattle to Vancouver was dark and cloudy:

Old Oct 28, 2015, 10:13 AM   #7

Oh, man. That museum architecture is one fun click after another.

Yes, the 10 days we were in Vancouver, I think we had beautiful clear skies maybe 3-4 days, and we felt lucky. I would imagine if one travelled there for a week at a time, more often than not you may never see a clear day, or possibly just one.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:13 PM   #8

What a good series! Some really excellent shots there. Interesting compositions and a varied mix of subjects.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2015, 8:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
What a good series! Some really excellent shots there. Interesting compositions and a varied mix of subjects.
Thank you Steven.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 2:50 PM   #10

Very Very Nice Marcelo
Excellent shot of Space Needle and Mt. Rainier.
the color is outstanding
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote