Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:10 AM   #1
TG

Default E-M1 & Home Studio Lights

Here are some shots of my youngest daughter in her costume for her dance school concert. Taken with the E-M1 and my cheap Chinese Studio Lights in my garage (three 160w studio flashes & three small umbrellas).

Actually smoked one of them while taking these shots (fried a capacitor). Want to get something better eventually, higher output and some soft boxes, but these have been good to play around with.

Take it easy on me as portrait photography is definitely not my forte and not something I do a lot of.

Last edited by TG; Nov 21, 2015 at 9:11 AM.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2015, 10:09 AM   #2

Look nice. Studio lighting, flashes, really anything other than ambient natural light is an absolute mystery to me. I know the basics of where to set them up from my video production days but all the technicals are unknown.

#2 looks a little darker in the face than the others to me, but what do I know.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2015, 10:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Studio lighting, flashes, really anything other than ambient natural light is an absolute mystery to me
I'm with Sammy here, but Tom, I think you should do more portraiture; these are quite nicely done of your beautiful young daughter.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2015, 8:27 PM   #4

Very nice shots Tom and your daughter is so cute..!!

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2015, 11:08 PM   #5

How can you go wrong with such a lovely subject in front of your lens. And truth be told, I would stack these up against almost any portrait studio shots. Nice work
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2015, 1:11 PM   #6

I would say you've nailed the lighting with this set up. Really cute daughter too!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I would say you've nailed the lighting with this set up. Really cute daughter too!
I agree.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2015, 3:12 AM   #8
TG

Thanks for looking everyone and for not being to hard on me
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:17 AM   #9
conor

TG, I started out the same as you, using umbrellas.

Keep an eye out on B&H. I picked up a pair of these guys ($90 each): http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...all_strip.html and though they aren't the best construction (compare against softboxes costing three times the price) they're doing pretty well for me so far.

They don't come with a speed ring, and I wasn't about to pay $100 each, not knowing what strobes I'd eventually use (I currently I use 1x Nikon SB900 + 2x Nikon SB600), so I cut a little block of wood, roughly the same size as the opening, drilled 4 holes for the flex-rods that give the softbox its shape, and a hole in the back the same size as my SB600s. Add an angle bracket and a nut, screw the contraption onto the same stands I use for my umbrellas, jam the SB600 into the hole (friction fit), and for $10, I turned two, cheap, $90 softboxes into a decent studio setup. If you have different sized/shaped flashes, cut a different size/shaped hole in the block.

Sure, it's a DIY, but they work perfectly! Maybe this would work for you.

Attachment 205536

Sorry about the clarity of the picture, it's the only one I have handy (on my phone)

(Edit: Oh, I see that you're in Australia. B&H has pretty good international shipping rates. I'm in Canada and shipping, including taxes/fees/brokerage was $20, but I'm not sure if that deal would extend to places overseas)

Last edited by conor; Apr 21, 2016 at 10:13 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 12:15 PM   #10

TG, with the new 4.0 firmware, you'll need to try doing this with the camera in S-OVF mode, where the E-M1 adjusts the EVF to act more like an optical viewfinder.

I don't know if you are using manual exposure to set up these shots (assuming you are), but doing that with a finder simulating an optical finder no matter the exposure setting could be a much nicer experience, if it works like I am hoping it does.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote