Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 22, 2015, 4:59 AM   #1
TG

Default Motorsport, V8 Supercars Phillip Island SuperSprint

Here are some shots from Friday practice at the V8 Supercars Phillip Island SuperSprint. Was a overcast wet day at Phillip Island glad I purchased a car pass. Very convenient for getting around different parts of the track and keeping dry when the rain really came down.

Last edited by TG; Nov 26, 2015 at 10:53 PM.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2015, 5:04 AM   #2
TG

Here's a shot from one of the support races when the rain was coming down.

Last edited by TG; Nov 23, 2015 at 12:12 AM.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:32 AM   #3

Fantastic series Tom,

I noticed some of those pictures are shot with the 75-300mm, how fast is the AF of this lens? looks very sharp to me.

Thank you for posting.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2015, 6:08 AM   #4
TG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
Fantastic series Tom,

I noticed some of those pictures are shot with the 75-300mm, how fast is the AF of this lens? looks very sharp to me.

Thank you for posting.

Marcelo
Thanks Marcelo.
Would rate the 75-300 II AF speed as good to very good. C-AF work well on the E-M1 shooting motorsports but struggles on the E-M10 to get consistently sharp images but this is defiantly due to this cameras lack of PDAF.
Sharpness is very good, I was initially a bit disappointed with sharpness but this came from viewing images at 100% and comparing them to my Canon 1D MKII N with Canon L lenses(16 vs 8 megapixels at 100% and optically better lenses) instead of comparing both at the same resolution.

Last edited by TG; Dec 5, 2015 at 6:26 AM.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 11:35 AM   #5
conor

Excepting #6 which seems out of focus, I'm very jealous - both your lens and your obvious skill.

I think my favourite is #9 - the rear view of the "Payce" car; you can see how well tuned these machines are, with the tires on the inside of the turn nearly floating, and the outside tires firmly planted, due to the camber.

Awesome series, thanks for sharing!

Edit: Can you identify the car in the final picture? That front-end looks familiar to me, but I doubt the vehicle is from the 70s, especially being a Mercedes (at least, I think it's a Mercedes).

Last edited by conor; Dec 9, 2015 at 11:37 AM.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 9:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor View Post
Excepting #6 which seems out of focus, I'm very jealous - both your lens and your obvious skill.

I think my favourite is #9 - the rear view of the "Payce" car; you can see how well tuned these machines are, with the tires on the inside of the turn nearly floating, and the outside tires firmly planted, due to the camber.

Edit: Can you identify the car in the final picture? That front-end looks familiar to me, but I doubt the vehicle is from the 70s, especially being a Mercedes (at least, I think it's a Mercedes).
That looks like an old AMC Javelin from the Trans-Am days. That must be a nostalgia or vintage class.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2015, 3:42 AM   #7
TG

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor View Post

Thanks Conor,

#6 the Pepsi symbol, drivers name & number on window are in focus. The shot was taken at 1/30 sec, the rest of the car is blurred due to car travelling through a corner (parts of the car travelling in a different direction to each other),vibration & movement. All these factors contribute to the blurriness of the car due to the slow shutter speed.
This is the effect I was after I like the motion blur in the background from panning and only part of the car sharp, it gives the shot a feel of speed.
Technically it is very difficult to even get part of the car sharp when its travelling through a corner (even with a straight pan) at this shutter speed. A lot of the time the whole car is just one big blur.

The last car is a 1972 AMC JAVELIN racing in the Touring Car Masters series.

Last edited by TG; Dec 12, 2015 at 1:48 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:27 PM   #8

Very nice shots, I need to comment again in this post

Your panning skills are great Tom, that is something I need to practice more specially when I do BIF.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2015, 1:13 PM   #9

Another excellent series!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2015, 6:03 PM   #10
Super Moderator

As ever, a lovely set and you always make me want to get out and shoot some motorsport.

How are you finding the Olly compared to when you were with Canon, I know it's been a while now?