Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 6, 2015, 3:05 AM   #1
TG

Default Emily, singing on stage

Here are some shots of my daughter singing at the Pony Music Student Concert. She was sinning "Flashlight" by Jessie J and totally nailed it.
Done my best to correct the WB, had a horrible red cast from the lights. Should have slipped her a grey card before she started singing .

TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2015, 7:42 AM   #2

Cute, and talented. Good combination, .

You'll have several opportunities to get your stage-shooting process down. Maybe using the white balance pointer on her white sandles would get the colors closer?
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2015, 4:50 PM   #3
TG

Thanks Greg, did use the white balance pointer off her sandle and then tweaked it from there. Also tried using the skin tone pointer tool in Capture One. Anyway here's one with some adjusting in PS

Old Dec 9, 2015, 10:09 AM   #4
conor

#3 and especially #5 for me.

I've done a few shoots of a band on stage, I can appreciate how difficult it can be to get this quality of an image back. Nice work avoiding most shadows, an especially difficult task at times, depending on how much the performer moves around on stage, and how good (read: bad) the stage lighting setup is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG View Post
Done my best to correct the WB, had a horrible red cast from the lights.
One thing I'll throw you, not that it really applies here, it's food for thought:

I think there's something wonderful about a small/intimate live performance, with the dark spots on the stage, awkward stage light colour, etc... Depending the style of lights being used (PAR cans with gels vs incandescent floods vs halogen/LED), sometimes it's best to embrace the "cast from the lights". Especially with smaller shows that are using red+blue+green+yellow+orange PAR cans (which looks to be the case here, albeit some colours missing), I've found that I fight forever in post trying to make colours perfectly even when in all actuality, the task is futile - use the lights to capture the intimate mood of the show instead.

Great series, thanks for sharing!
Old Dec 10, 2015, 4:39 AM   #5
TG

Thanks for looking Conor and for your advice much appreciated as this is an area I have very little experience in.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 5:25 PM   #6

Very nice shots Tom and Emily is a beautiful girl.

Looks like she really feels the song she is singing..!!

Shooting under those conditions is a pain but I think you did well adjusting the WB.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2015, 9:44 AM   #7
conor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG View Post
Thanks for looking Conor and for your advice much appreciated as this is an area I have very little experience in.
No problem. I don't have much experience with this either, just a handful of shows featuring a local band. Trial and error has left me with "my way", not suggesting for a second that "my way" is "THE way", but I've managed some decent results.

Do you have the option of a bit of flash when shooting in these venues?
How close to the stage can you get? (It looks like you were near-front-row based on the angle). I've had some pretty good success from closer distances with a well focused external flash... But not too much, just enough to offset the stage lighting a bit.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 8:52 PM   #8

What a lovely young lady! You I am sure and should be proud, and you did well capturing
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2015, 12:45 PM   #9

The main thing is you captured the moment very well which is very precious to you I'm sure.