Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 23, 2015, 9:45 AM   #1

Default The E-M5 Finally Arrived

The next day delivery perk at B&H turned out to a four day delivery. Likely because of the holiday time. Haven't really played with it other than download the latest firmware version which is quite easy if you use the Olympus viewer. Just connect camera to PC, select the update camera icon and you're in. Works for lenses also. Not able to take any photos yet since the MMF3 adapter hasn't arrived yet. Funny that they were all ordered the same day. Oh, sure glad I got the used grip, camera is a little smaller than I envisioned.

IMG_0320 by James Gasta, on Flickr

Last edited by James Emory; Dec 23, 2015 at 9:47 AM. Reason: Reduce photo size
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2015, 11:22 AM   #2

Sweet!

I've heard nothing but good things about that grip. I know I like the one for the EM10--but it's just "dumb" plastic with no electronics or battery compartments or anything. It makes the whole thing feel a lot nicer though.

I see you took a shot of your "PEN" too. (Okay, that was bad.)
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2015, 12:46 PM   #3

Sorry about the "PEN" Sammy. The iPhone 4 camera does not have editing features. The grip does not use AA batteries like some of the other grips. It uses the same model battery the camera uses, a BLN-1. Debating whether to buy the Oly battery for 40 bucks or the Watson for 19 bucks. The Watson has a little less mH's than the Oly. Since it's only a backup battery I will likely go with the Watson. No way I'm going to go through two batteries in one day. Glad I was able to find a nearly mint grip. A new one runs 300 buckeroos. I paid 180.00 I believe....from B&H.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 1:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Sorry about the "PEN" Sammy. The iPhone 4 camera does not have editing features. The grip does not use AA batteries like some of the other grips. It uses the same model battery the camera uses, a BLN-1. Debating whether to buy the Oly battery for 40 bucks or the Watson for 19 bucks. The Watson has a little less mH's than the Oly. Since it's only a backup battery I will likely go with the Watson. No way I'm going to go through two batteries in one day. Glad I was able to find a nearly mint grip. A new one runs 300 buckeroos. I paid 180.00 I believe....from B&H.

Ha, no with the PEN thing I was just making a bad joke about the olympus cameras.

I was lucky on the battery side of things because the EM10 takes the same one as my E-PL2. So I had the EM10 battery, the old one from the EPL2, and two generics I picked up at some point along the way. I usually like to keep one in the camera and one spare, plus one on the charger. I don't think the batteries for my camera are supposed to last as long as the one for the EM5 though. It would be a nice feature to have them stored right there in the grip instead of the old jeans pocket knowing I'll have to remove everything to change the battery out.

The EM10 grip though, while not as nice, cost me a cool 35 bucks. Made it as close to a no brainer as you can get in my opinion.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2015, 1:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Ha, no with the PEN thing I was just making a bad joke about the olympus cameras.

I was lucky on the battery side of things because the EM10 takes the same one as my E-PL2. So I had the EM10 battery, the old one from the EPL2, and two generics I picked up at some point along the way. I usually like to keep one in the camera and one spare, plus one on the charger. I don't think the batteries for my camera are supposed to last as long as the one for the EM5 though. It would be a nice feature to have them stored right there in the grip instead of the old jeans pocket knowing I'll have to remove everything to change the battery out.

The EM10 grip though, while not as nice, cost me a cool 35 bucks. Made it as close to a no brainer as you can get in my opinion.
Yes, I caught the PEN joke. With the EM5 it all depends on if you are using the included flash for photos because the flash uses the camera battery. How much you use the screen is also a factor.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 8:36 PM   #6

Congratulations on the new camera!
Old Dec 28, 2015, 9:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
Congratulations on the new camera!
Thank you!