Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 23, 2015, 3:05 PM   #1

Default First Photo with the OM-D M5

Here is the first photo taken with the Olympus 35mm 1:1 macro. I was not impressed with the focusing speed for 4/3rd lenses. Did a lot of hunting throughout the focusing range; not every time but most of the time. One thing that bugs me is the small windows that come up for every menu option that explains what that section is for. The information window blocks the view of most of the menu. Never read the manual yet but I hope there is a way to disable those small info windows. The photo shown is right out of the camera shooting large JPEG and using default settings that came with the camera. No flash. After just looking at the EXIF info I can see why; 1/30th sec, f3.5, ISO1600. So obviously the light was very poor which would give the camera's contrast focusing a few problems focusing, at least that's what I've been reading. So I would have to say at 1600 ISO, not too shabby.

PC230002 by James Gasta, on Flickr

Last edited by James Emory; Dec 23, 2015 at 3:11 PM.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2015, 9:57 PM   #2

I believe if you press the info button it turns off that explanation info, at least it does on the em-1

Leeston

E-3 14-42mm 18-180mm, 70-300mm
Leeston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2015, 9:38 AM   #3

Hi James,

How do you like the new OMD-E5 so far?

That picture looks noise free at ISO 1600.

Have a great Holidays.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2015, 11:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
Hi James,

How do you like the new OMD-E5 so far?

That picture looks noise free at ISO 1600.

Have a great Holidays.

Marcelo
Hi Marcello. I really haven't had a chance to go through the manual on the CD. I took a few shots of the Christmas ornament shown in the photo and that's about it. It's a tad smaller than I envisioned and I'm really happy I found a mint HLD-6 grip for sale. That makes a huge difference in handling and I have a back up battery. I believe there is a setting in the camera that allows you to select the primary battery and the backup battery.

I glanced through the menu this morning and I must say there are an awful lot of options on the camera and some I'm not sure what they are for yet until I read the PDF manual.

If I have time today I'm going to see how the focus works on 4/3 lenses in decent light.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 1:08 PM   #5

Looks good James
congrats on the new OM-D M5
now have FUN !
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2015, 3:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredS View Post
Looks good James
congrats on the new OM-D M5
now have FUN !
Thanks Fred.