Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 24, 2015, 12:39 PM   #1

Default New Olympus 300mm cancelled?

B&H Photo was notifying me every few weeks about the status of the not yet available product, but then earlier this week said it was "discontinued." As people were waiting for that lens, I'm curious whether that is correct.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2015, 1:20 PM   #2

Mmm, the only 300mm I'm aware of is the 6,490 f2.8 model that is special order only. Were they going to make one for the M43 cameras?
Old Dec 25, 2015, 6:21 PM   #3
TG

Saw a post regarding this on DPReview forum as well. According to 43 rumours website the lens is meant to be released early next year. The 300mm f4 Pro has been redesigned to feature Image stabilization which is what has caused the long delay with the release of this lens.
B&H could possibly be just changing model numbers and that's why the lens is discontinued. Hope Olympus have not discontinued this lens as I have been waiting for this lens especially using the MC-14 1.4x Teleconverter with it. Panasonic are also releasing a 100-400mm zoom early next year. I am torn between these two lenses as I loved my telephoto primes on my Canon system but I am leaning to the versatility of the zoom this time round if the image quality is up to scratch. Both lenses are going to be very expensive though compared to what the price of lenses on the m43 system have been.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2015, 3:51 PM   #4

Yeah I believe TG has it right, the lens was supposed to be this year but taken back and pushed out in release.

Latest rumors place price tag above $2,000, maybe as high as $2,500 which to me is a non starter... I feel it should be priced in line with the other PRO lenses in the $1,000-1,500 range. I know a number of people are comparing it to a 35mm equivalent 600mm but I don't agree, I see it more comparable to a 300mm because crop factor does not change the cost of production.

Personally I'd be more apt to find a used 300mm f2.8 FT lens if I was going to spend that kind of money... which I'm not...
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:56 PM   #5
TG

This is from another site regarding M.Zuiko 300mm f/4.0 PRO IS lens.

The “beast” will be announced on January 6th at around 6am London time. The Japanese leaked specs list confirmes the “german” spec list we leaked on Friday:
– 6 stop correction (world’s best stabilization!)
– 17 lenses organized in 10 groups (three Super ED lens, one E-HR lens, three HR lens)
– New Z Coating Nano” coating to reduce flare
– weather sealed (17 sealing points).
– Lens fully functional down to -10 ℃.
– Tele Macro function of the shortest photographing distance 1.4m.
– Maximum magnification is 0.24 times (MC-14 0.34-fold during use).
– It is equipped with a “manual focus clutch mechanism”. Focus limit switch, with a L-Fn button.
– nine blade circular aperture
– 77mm filter size
– Total length 227mm (hood when using 280mm). The maximum diameter of 92.5mm. It weighs 1270 grams (1475 grams in the tripod sit).
– built-in lens hood can be fixed sliding that is stretched.
– detachable tripod mount
– price of 370,000 (including tax 399,600). In Europe 2.600 Euro
– ships late February

This is going to be a very expensive lens considering is it's still a 300mm f4 lens and comparing to the same focal length aperture lenses from Canon & Nikon. I know it's equivalent to 600mm 35mm film focal length but in reality its still only a 300mm lens.
Personally I would have preferred the non IS version as was originally planned, I will buy this lens or the Panasonic 100-400 zoom and hopefully the retail price is bit lower when it comes out.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:33 AM   #6

Amazon has it up for pre-order for $2,499 US, with a March 7th release date...
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:53 AM   #7
TG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
Amazon has it up for pre-order for $2,499 US, with a March 7th release date...
Just seen this as well , a little bit cheaper than the rumoured price but still a bit pricey