Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:01 AM   #11

I'm all over the place with film, using both the Contax and Leica equipment, LOL...

Processing and scanning it all at home myself. I can shoot a couple of rolls of film and the resulting 72 exposures keeps me occupied processing, scanning and working the resulting DNG files (Vuescan software allows you to create raw files from multi-pass scans of a negative to maximize data capture) for 5-6 days.

Kind of a nice change of pace, on both the shooting and processing end. At some point I've got to figure where my happy medium is between using the film stuff and digital. I may always carry one of these bodies loaded with a roll and at least one lens going forward when I do get back to using the E-M1 outfit.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 4, 2016 at 11:59 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2016, 12:09 PM   #12

Holy Comoly, you have a small fortune in film equipment. You know I could kick myself in the butt; when I was in Germany back in the 60's for three years, I bought a M4 from a local camera shop. Although paychecks in the Army were not that great, the store owner sold me the camera on time payments with no interest. When I was getting out of the Army I sold the camera to a friend of mine thinking that with the age of SLR's and my new Pentax Spotmatic F, the Leica rangefinder camera was going to be a thing of the past. Oh how wrong I was!!!! I'd love to have that camera sitting in my bag right now.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 12:38 PM   #13

I've definitely sunk a little bit of money into it for sure. Not nearly as much as it would have been 20 years or so ago.

The M4 is far from the mint condition that users pay the big bucks for, and the M6 has some superficial blemishes that kept the price down about as low as I have seen an M6 sell for. With the M digital rangefinder out there the lenses never seem to lose much value, even the older models I purchased. Only one, the superwide 21mm f2.8 Elmarit ASPH, is newer than 16 years. The others all date back 30 years or longer.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 12:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I've definitely sunk a little bit of money into it for sure. Not nearly as much as it would have been 20 years or so ago.

The M4 is far from the mint condition that users pay the big bucks for, and the M6 has some superficial blemishes that kept the price down about as low as I have seen an M6 sell for. With the M digital rangefinder out there the lenses never seem to lose much value, even the older models I purchased. Only one, the superwide 21mm f2.8 Elmarit ASPH, is newer than 16 years. The others all date back 30 years or longer.
A good testament to Leica quality for sure.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 12:53 PM   #15

Mmm, my mistake. The model I bought was the M3.

Old Jan 4, 2016, 3:45 PM   #16

A sweet body for sure. You cannot get any better in terms of the rangefinder quality than the M3. The draw of the M4 for me was the built-in frame lines for the wider 35mm lens, extended to 28mm with the M6. The 21mm f2.8 is the only lens I have that requires an external finder, and the view is so wide, an educated guess and/or using the depth of field indicators is really all you need to focus most shots with that lens.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 9:50 AM   #17

If I remember correctly, in 1964 I paid around 1,500 for the body and the 50mm, f2.8 lens brand new....I believe it was Elmar or Emarit, something like that. Back then that was a good hunk of cash.