Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
James,

The AF speed of the OMD series is faster than the 4/3 models but it has some limitations when you compare it with the super fast cameras and lenses Nikon and Canon offer.
I thought you were comparing with M43 systems. Yes, the Canon/Nikon systems are faster but at a cost. I do not feel their entry models 5300, 5400, etc are any faster than the OMD M bodies.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:23 AM   #12
TG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
If I were in the market, and assuming they quality is about the same, I'd have to strongly consider the zoom capabilities of the Panny over the brighter Oly.

Will the 300 be compatible with the teleconverter? That's a helluva lot of reach.
The Oly 300 is compatible with the TC. Leaning towards the 100-400 there have been some hands on previews with early production lenses saying the the lens has fast, accurate AF and is very sharp.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG View Post
The Oly 300 is compatible with the TC. Leaning towards the 100-400 there have been some hands on previews with early production lenses saying the the lens has fast, accurate AF and is very sharp.
I mean my GUESS is that the oly is a bit sharper but the Panny more versatile, and for ME I think I'd want the Panasonic more. First of all, I've not used such a length before but I imagine it's easier to spot what you're trying to shoot if you can zoom in after you've gotten a subject. Even using the 45-200 I find it sometimes hard to tell where I'm pointing the thing if I have it zoomed all the way in.

Last edited by SammyKhalifa; Jan 6, 2016 at 7:33 AM.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:02 AM   #14

The best part is the Price

$3,299.99 CDN NO

Last edited by FredS; Jan 6, 2016 at 8:04 AM.
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredS View Post
The best part is the Price

$3,299.99 CDN NO
Yeah I would like one, but I'd also like a solid gold helicopter. Both of these wishes are about equally likely.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 9:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Yeah I would like one, but I'd also like a solid gold helicopter. Both of these wishes are about equally likely.
I'm with you Sammy. I guess one could justify the price if he/she were an avid bird shooter and frequently sold photos to publications etc., but for the average Joe like me who would likely only use the lens a few times a year I'd probably be just fine using the Oly 75-300mm M43 lens at a fraction of the cost.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 10:22 AM   #17

I'd love to rent one out for a weekend, though.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 12:32 PM   #18

I actually had a pre-order in the cart on the Olympus site last night and all set up to hit enter and stopped short. It was going to be over $2,700 with sales tax and I got to thinking I'd rather consider a couple of other items I am mulling over before committing.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
a couple of other items I am mulling over

Imagine how many tacos you could buy for $2700
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I actually had a pre-order in the cart on the Olympus site last night and all set up to hit enter and stopped short. It was going to be over $2,700 with sales tax and I got to thinking I'd rather consider a couple of other items I am mulling over before committing.
I won't have to worry about a showdown like that Gregg.