Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:03 PM   #1
TG
Senior Member
 
TG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 607
Default M.Zuiko 300mm f/4.0 PRO IS late February

This is from another site regarding M.Zuiko 300mm f/4.0 PRO IS lens.

The “beast” will be announced on January 6th at around 6am London time. The Japanese leaked specs list confirmes the “german” spec list we leaked on Friday:
– 6 stop correction (world’s best stabilization!)
– 17 lenses organized in 10 groups (three Super ED lens, one E-HR lens, three HR lens)
– New Z Coating Nano” coating to reduce flare
– weather sealed (17 sealing points).
– Lens fully functional down to -10 ℃.
– Tele Macro function of the shortest photographing distance 1.4m.
– Maximum magnification is 0.24 times (MC-14 0.34-fold during use).
– It is equipped with a “manual focus clutch mechanism”. Focus limit switch, with a L-Fn button.
– nine blade circular aperture
– 77mm filter size
– Total length 227mm (hood when using 280mm). The maximum diameter of 92.5mm. It weighs 1270 grams (1475 grams in the tripod sit).
– built-in lens hood can be fixed sliding that is stretched.
– detachable tripod mount
– price of ¥ 370,000 (including tax ¥ 399,600). In Europe 2.600 Euro
– ships late February

This is going to be a very expensive lens considering is it's still a 300mm f4 lens and comparing to the same focal length aperture lenses from Canon & Nikon. I know it's equivalent to 600mm 35mm film focal length but in reality its still only a 300mm lens.
Personally I would have preferred the non IS version as was originally planned, I will buy this lens or the Panasonic 100-400 zoom and hopefully the retail price is bit lower when it comes out.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2016, 11:31 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,483
Default

Yes, 300mm, but this isn't a 35mm format system so it's coverage is narrower and depth of field wider. Just like an 80mm f2.8 Planar is "normal" on a Hasselblad, a short tele on 35mm and 150mm is a "normal" 8x10 view lens. None of them are for the same format and shouldn't be looked at as "the same thing" in every format.

It is going to be one expensive lens. Probably a little longer than I'll ever need for the size and heft it's going to be, especially put in a bag with the other high-end Zuikos and an E-M1. At that point, you're officially into a backpack for comfort and space needed-sake.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 4, 2016 at 11:36 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2016, 5:09 AM   #3
TG
Senior Member
 
TG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 607
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Yes, 300mm, but this isn't a 35mm format system so it's coverage is narrower and depth of field wider. Just like an 80mm f2.8 Planar is "normal" on a Hasselblad, a short tele on 35mm and 150mm is a "normal" 8x10 view lens. None of them are for the same format and shouldn't be looked at as "the same thing" in every format.

It is going to be one expensive lens. Probably a little longer than I'll ever need for the size and heft it's going to be, especially put in a bag with the other high-end Zuikos and an E-M1. At that point, you're officially into a backpack for comfort and space needed-sake.
I might be getting things confused but doesn't a 300mm lens on a M43 sensor give the same field of view & focal length as 600mm on a full frame sensor and has 2 stops difference in depth of field.

I understand what your saying I shouldn't compare systems but this lens is very expensive compared to other Olympus lenses and considering a full frame 300mm lens a hell of a lot cheaper (which would give you a FOV/focal length of 600mm on M43 sensor). I think the 12-40 f2.8 Pro & 40-150 f2.8 Pro are real bargains price wise.

Anyway looks like it's going to be a bit cheaper as Amazon are going to be
selling this lens for $2,499.99 with free shipping from March 7th.
Here in Australia we pay a lot more for cameras & lenses compared to the rest of the world. Buying Grey Market is cheaper but there is no local warranty and it has to shipped back to the retailer for a claim or pay for repairs locally.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2016, 7:39 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,483
Default

$2,499 would definitely put it in the prior four-thirds SHQ lens system pricing stratosphere for most. I haven't been paying attention to what the new Panasonic 100-400mm is going to cost, but you can bet they'll slap a premium on it due adding the "Leica" name badge to it.

It isn't going to be cheap moving to the high-end native 300-400mm optics, but it's not in any other system, either. If I was real bird-shooting enthusiast like so many in the photo club I belong to, still had a kid playing athletics or did much race shooting like you do TG and was using this system, I wouldn't think twice about getting it. I still might eventually myself and just get that backpack.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2016, 9:43 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
James Emory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 2,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Yes, 300mm, but this isn't a 35mm format system so it's coverage is narrower and depth of field wider. Just like an 80mm f2.8 Planar is "normal" on a Hasselblad, a short tele on 35mm and 150mm is a "normal" 8x10 view lens. None of them are for the same format and shouldn't be looked at as "the same thing" in every format.

It is going to be one expensive lens. Probably a little longer than I'll ever need for the size and heft it's going to be, especially put in a bag with the other high-end Zuikos and an E-M1. At that point, you're officially into a backpack for comfort and space needed-sake.
I agree here. I think you would be better served with the 40-150 Pro lens with the tele extender for it and a lot less bulk and heft.
__________________
Olympus OMD-M5, HLG6 grip, Olympus 4/3rd 35mm macro lens, Panny/Leica 25mm, f1.4, Olympus 17mm, Canon Pro 9000 Mk II Printer, Canon MP990 Printer, Slik U212 Tripod, Manfrotto monopod, MMF3 converter.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2016, 11:20 AM   #6
TG
Senior Member
 
TG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 607
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
$2,499 would definitely put it in the prior four-thirds SHQ lens system pricing stratosphere for most. I haven't been paying attention to what the new Panasonic 100-400mm is going to cost, but you can bet they'll slap a premium on it due adding the "Leica" name badge to it.

It isn't going to be cheap moving to the high-end native 300-400mm optics, but it's not in any other system, either. If I was real bird-shooting enthusiast like so many in the photo club I belong to, still had a kid playing athletics or did much race shooting like you do TG and was using this system, I wouldn't think twice about getting it. I still might eventually myself and just get that backpack.
The Panasonic 100-400mm will be a similar price, definitely will get either the 300 or 100-400 but at the moment I'm torn between them. I have only jumped to M43 system 2 years ago from point & shoot (panasonic LX5 & FZ150) and Canon before that. Never had the 43 system so didn't know what the priceing on SHQ lenses was, the prevous M43 Pro lenses have been priced very resonably.
Have preferred telephoto prime lenses over zooms previously (My 300mm f4 L & 400mm f5.6 L were great lenses. The 400 was still an excellent lens with the 1.4x TC and still had AF on my 1D MKII N at f8.
Going to have to wait a bit longer before they came out here in Australia and I will have to order one and even then they will be limited numbers, had to wait nearly 6 months for my 40-150 Pro on backorder with Olympus Australia as there was a huge demand and waiting list on this lens.

Last edited by TG; Jan 5, 2016 at 11:54 AM.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2016, 12:29 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Beaver, PA
Posts: 894
Default

If I were in the market, and assuming they quality is about the same, I'd have to strongly consider the zoom capabilities of the Panny over the brighter Oly.

Will the 300 be compatible with the teleconverter? That's a helluva lot of reach.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2016, 1:52 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
MarceloLI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Long Island - New York
Posts: 2,083
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG View Post
The Panasonic 100-400mm will be a similar price, definitely will get either the 300 or 100-400 but at the moment I'm torn between them. I have only jumped to M43 system 2 years ago from point & shoot (panasonic LX5 & FZ150) and Canon before that. Never had the 43 system so didn't know what the priceing on SHQ lenses was, the prevous M43 Pro lenses have been priced very resonably.
Have preferred telephoto prime lenses over zooms previously (My 300mm f4 L & 400mm f5.6 L were great lenses. The 400 was still an excellent lens with the 1.4x TC and still had AF on my 1D MKII N at f8.
Going to have to wait a bit longer before they came out here in Australia and I will have to order one and even then they will be limited numbers, had to wait nearly 6 months for my 40-150 Pro on backorder with Olympus Australia as there was a huge demand and waiting list on this lens.

The price for the Panasonic is $1800 and Amazon is already taking orders for it.

I have/had some large primes and zooms like the Canon 400mm f5.6, Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 and Nikon 300mm f4, those are super sharp and fast focus lenses.

The Olympus lens looks very nice with the IS system and size of it but it will have some limitations for shooting BIF or sports because the slow AF system Olympus cameras offer now and of of course the price of it will be also a big issue comparing it to what CaNikon offer.

Tomorrow morning we will have the info after the announcement.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:04 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
James Emory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 2,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
The price for the Panasonic is $1800 and Amazon is already taking orders for it.

I have/had some large primes and zooms like the Canon 400mm f5.6, Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 and Nikon 300mm f4, those are super sharp and fast focus lenses.

The Olympus lens looks very nice with the IS system and size of it but it will have some limitations for shooting BIF or sports because the slow AF system Olympus cameras offer now and of of course the price of it will be also a big issue comparing it to what CaNikon offer.

Tomorrow morning we will have the info after the announcement.
I was under the impression the AF was fast on the M cameras like the EM1,5 and 10.
__________________
Olympus OMD-M5, HLG6 grip, Olympus 4/3rd 35mm macro lens, Panny/Leica 25mm, f1.4, Olympus 17mm, Canon Pro 9000 Mk II Printer, Canon MP990 Printer, Slik U212 Tripod, Manfrotto monopod, MMF3 converter.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:33 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
MarceloLI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Long Island - New York
Posts: 2,083
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG View Post
The Panasonic 100-400mm will be a similar price, definitely will get either the 300 or 100-400 but at the moment I'm torn between them. I have only jumped to M43 system 2 years ago from point & shoot (panasonic LX5 & FZ150) and Canon before that. Never had the 43 system so didn't know what the priceing on SHQ lenses was, the prevous M43 Pro lenses have been priced very resonably.
Have preferred telephoto prime lenses over zooms previously (My 300mm f4 L & 400mm f5.6 L were great lenses. The 400 was still an excellent lens with the 1.4x TC and still had AF on my 1D MKII N at f8.
Going to have to wait a bit longer before they came out here in Australia and I will have to order one and even then they will be limited numbers, had to wait nearly 6 months for my 40-150 Pro on backorder with Olympus Australia as there was a huge demand and waiting list on this lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
I was under the impression the AF was fast on the M cameras like the EM1,5 and 10.
James,

The AF speed of the OMD series is faster than the 4/3 models but it has some limitations when you compare it with the super fast cameras and lenses Nikon and Canon offer.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 7:39 PM.