Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 7, 2016, 3:20 PM   #1

Default Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm f/1.8 Lens

Anyone have anything negative to say about this lens? Thinking about picking one up used (silver) for 140.00 with caps and Oly hood. Thought it would be a nice prime to keep on the camera.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 9:11 PM   #2

Go for it!

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2016, 3:53 AM   #3

If you are looking for a good prime lens there are rumours that Olympus are going to bring out some fast f1.2 lenses in the near future.
If these are of the pro variety they should be cracking lenses.
John Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2016, 10:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by folob View Post
Go for it!
I missed out on this one. Bidding started at 112.00 no reserve and then yesterday it went through the roof, at 410.00 now. Not that great a buy for me at this time.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 10:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dixon View Post
If you are looking for a good prime lens there are rumours that Olympus are going to bring out some fast f1.2 lenses in the near future.
If these are of the pro variety they should be cracking lenses.
Thanks John but I'm sure the price of a 1.2 lens will be out of my budget, especially for a prime lens. I have good 4/3rd's lenses but the focusing is too slow for my taste. The 35mm macro is much worse than the 14-54mm. I can live with those lenses for now but sure would like to get a decent M43 lens (or two) for it. I'll just keep looking.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:58 PM   #6

James,

One inexpensive prime is the 45mm 1.8, I love it, it is very sharp, fast AF and beautiful bokeh.

Take a look at this one, the seller is asking only $225

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1407181

The following are some pictures with this lens:

MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2016, 3:07 PM   #7

Thank you Marcello, Yes I have been reading about this lens and one of my options are to pick this beauty up and also the 25mm Oly. At a later time I would look for a 12mm Oly which is the more expensive of the group. I'm also thinking about the 12-50mm Oly which is on sale for 299.00. It is a much slower lens but for the average Joe it's a decent lens although not as sharp as the primes.

Your photos definitely show the nice contrast and sharpness the lens produces. Your photo skills along with a few others on this forum simply amazes me. It gets me pumped up to start taking photos.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 11:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Thanks John but I'm sure the price of a 1.2 lens will be out of my budget, especially for a prime lens. I have good 4/3rd's lenses but the focusing is too slow for my taste. The 35mm macro is much worse than the 14-54mm. I can live with those lenses for now but sure would like to get a decent M43 lens (or two) for it. I'll just keep looking.
James, let me play devil's advocate for a minute. You have some nice 4/3 lens, but you won't get good focus performance from the EM5. They will focus fine with the M1 however. You could use the money that you would have spent on new m4/3 lens and use it to trade up to an M-1 and use your current lens. If I make a move to m4/3 I will just get an M-1 body first and continue to use my excellent 4/3 lens, especially my 12-60 and 50-200.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2016, 12:54 AM   #9
TG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
James,

One inexpensive prime is the 45mm 1.8, I love it, it is very sharp, fast AF and beautiful bokeh.

Take a look at this one, the seller is asking only $225

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1407181
Great shots Marcelo with the 45mm f1.8, always wanted this lens and like it, nearly purchased it once when it was on special in a camera shop. Have the 60mm f2.8 macro so it's hard to justify buying it as they are so close in focal length even though 60mm is one stop slower and I find it good to use as a portrait lens.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2016, 1:11 AM   #10
TG

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Thank you Marcello, Yes I have been reading about this lens and one of my options are to pick this beauty up and also the 25mm Oly. At a later time I would look for a 12mm Oly which is the more expensive of the group. I'm also thinking about the 12-50mm Oly which is on sale for 299.00. It is a much slower lens but for the average Joe it's a decent lens although not as sharp as the primes.

Your photos definitely show the nice contrast and sharpness the lens produces. Your photo skills along with a few others on this forum simply amazes me. It gets me pumped up to start taking photos.
The 12-50mm isn't a bad lens, do have one came as the kit lens when I purchased my E-M1 as the 12-40 f2.8 & E-M1 pro kit wasn't available in Austraila when the camera first came out.
It's a better lens than my 14-42mm EZ (pancake zoom) which I purchased second hand for my E-M10 body to make it a almost pocketable camera (fits in a small camera bag/pouch and in the wife's handbag). The 12-50 has a great focal range, good image quality, Like the electronic zoom for video, weather sealed & does have that nice macro function.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote