Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 29, 2016, 7:17 PM   #1

Default Olympus increased mirrorless market share

FYI: For he year 2015, Olympus increased Japanese market share by 12%.

Olympus is in first place but Panasonic lost 3rd place to Canon, while Sony retains 2nd place. Interesting to note that in Japan, the mirrorless market is as large as the DSLR market, so this is significant.

http://www.43rumors.com/japanese-201...-market-share/

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2016, 8:29 PM   #2

on the one hand the japanese market news is significant, on the other hand the japanese market was also all in on minidisc in the early part of this century and where is that now? I know my very well made sony minidisc recorder is down in the basement supremely outclassed by the 32GB Samsung phone in my pocket.... lol anyways I'm getting older and now have to be subjected to upper endoscopy examinations of my esophagus, having just completed my second one I can tell you the last thing I see before the propofol kicks in is a rack of Olympus medical imaging equipment... it's good camera business is good for Olympus but I have a feeling business in general has been good enough for Olympus
Old Jan 30, 2016, 10:35 AM   #3

Funny, I once had a Sony mini disc recorder/player deck that did a great job. When I sensed the end was near I sold it or it would have been on my buyer remorse shelf in the basement.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 8:33 PM   #4

Hey guys. I not only still have some classic Marantz high-end stereo equipment, but also have two Sony minidisc decks as part of my stereo system in my den. One of the Sony decks also is a dual recorder deck with both minidisc and CDs. Plus I have 3 portable Sony Walkman units. Yeah, yeah, I have MP3 players and smart phones. But to serious audiophiles the sound quality just doesn't cut it.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Hey guys. I not only still have some classic Marantz high-end stereo equipment, but also have two Sony minidisc decks as part of my stereo system in my den. One of the Sony decks also is a dual recorder deck with both minidisc and CDs. Plus I have 3 portable Sony Walkman units. Yeah, yeah, I have MP3 players and smart phones. But to serious audiophiles the sound quality just doesn't cut it.
I agree Steve, I recently sold five Marantz monno block amps and I've been kicking myself in the rear since. Pretty tough to beat the sound quality those had. Many of the McIntosh power amps/preamps of yesteryear are bringing in more money than what they cost new.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 11:44 AM   #6

This is a great news for Olympus, it is the number 1 in the mirrorless segment.

I am very curious to know what happened with Panasonic?, why they loose the 1st place in this segment and being absorbed by Sony and Canon.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2016, 9:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
This is a great news for Olympus, it is the number 1 in the mirrorless segment.

I am very curious to know what happened with Panasonic?, why they loose the 1st place in this segment and being absorbed by Sony and Canon.
Hi Marcelo: There is some resistance in Japan to the fact that some Panasonic models are big and heavy compared to many other mirrorless. But in looking at the rest of the rankings, apparently Panasonic is now ranked first in the Video segment, ahead of Sony.

Old Feb 3, 2016, 8:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Hi Marcelo: There is some resistance in Japan to the fact that some Panasonic models are big and heavy compared to many other mirrorless. But in looking at the rest of the rankings, apparently Panasonic is now ranked first in the Video segment, ahead of Sony.

Thank you for the info Steven, very interesting to see the ranking of the digital cameras market is changing year to year.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote