Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 31, 2016, 9:18 AM   #1

Default bird in flight, icy dusk, a new old lens and a selfie from 1958

So I've put together a collection of recent shots for sharing that I hope you like.

First up is a bird in flight, one of the winter robins that have claimed the crab apples in the tree out front as theirs. They will gather in the tree and eat a few each and then stay to chase off other fruit eating birds. They're very smart and allow the woodpeckers who come to the tree for the suet to go about their business but Jays and other fruit eaters get chased away with a vengeance. On this day in January the stash was getting near depleted and the robins only had a few crab apples left on branches too small to land on, forcing them to swoop in and grab the crab apple in mid-air. Seeing the activity I pre-focused on a couple of the remaining ones and waited to capture a bird in flight. Unfortunately I probably should have gone higher with the shutter but I still captured one shot. E-M1 + 50-200

Going for the prize by ramcewan, on Flickr

Next up is a shot of a frozen over lake called beaver pond that I shoot often as I pass it on my way to and from work. This was taken with the E-PM2 and the Lumix 12-32mm, honestly I think it's a bit soft but the colors are really nice and it's been getting quite a few favs on flickr so I figured it's worth a share here too.

Beaver Pond Winter Dusk by ramcewan, on Flickr

Next up is a couple of shots of a new to me but old lens from 1958, the Jupiter 8, a Russian copy of a pre-war Zeiss design possibly made with original, stolen Zeiss glass. I owned one of these before but sold it off to fund some GAS attack I was having, recently I noticed that the prices on these have gone down and I figured it was time to pick up another. I found this one on ebay being sold by a person in Ukraine, because of a small break in the filter ring that does not prevent a filter from being used I was the only bidder and got it for $15 + $14 for shipping. A month and a few days later it arrived and I was pleased as punch to have one back in my collection. A 50mm all aluminum design with a click-less 9 bladed f2.0 aperture this lens is a jewel to hold and provides a unique render. These were taken with the E-M1 and the Lumix 25mm f1.7 on a tripod using f7.1. You'll note that the standard pinch lens cap for the m. Zuiko 45mm fits this lens perfectly. You may also note the "red P" which looks more like a "n" that denotes this is a coated model and the serial number indicating it was made in 1958, making this the best of these lenses, made just after the end of WWII using the Zeiss Sonnar design and possibly even the glass taken from the Zeiss plant.

Jupiter 8 by ramcewan, on Flickr

Jupiter 8 by ramcewan, on Flickr

Interestingly enough I just read that the company Lomography has just contracted with the original Zenit factory to reproduce the Jupiter 3 which is a 50mm f1.5 version of this same lens. Those will be sold for $650, not a bad price for a rangefinder lens but a bit steep considering you can find an original Jupiter 3 for under $200... then again you'll have to hope you find a good one.

Anyways so what makes this so special that I wanted to get another and a company is reviving them? Well it's a Zeiss design and it makes an excellent portrait lens with sharpness that is amazing for it's age.

So I went ahead and set the lens up on my E-M1, pre-focused and set the aperture at f4.0 and using the WiFi feature to connect to my tablet I composed and took a couple of selfies leaning against a wall with natural light from the window coming in.

Selfie 2016 by ramcewan, on Flickr

Selfie 2016 by ramcewan, on Flickr

Last edited by ramcewan; Jan 31, 2016 at 9:54 AM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:58 AM   #2

Well you had the right idea trying to capture the Robin but too bad the speed wasn't quick enough. As to the selfies, very sharp, even the gray hair. Hahaha. That sure is an old lens, reminds me of the lens that was on my Exacta (East German Lens/body) back in the late 60's. The body I had was pretty basic, even required the use of a light meter but most of the time I just used the recommended settings that came packaged with the film and for the most part was fine.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:18 AM   #3

Interesting set and interesting old lens. And the selfies are excellent. They could pass for portrait shots taken by someone else.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2016, 10:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Well you had the right idea trying to capture the Robin but too bad the speed wasn't quick enough. As to the selfies, very sharp, even the gray hair. Hahaha. That sure is an old lens, reminds me of the lens that was on my Exacta (East German Lens/body) back in the late 60's. The body I had was pretty basic, even required the use of a light meter but most of the time I just used the recommended settings that came packaged with the film and for the most part was fine.
Thanks James, and as for the gray hair, I found my first at 18 half way through freshmen year in college, my dad found his first at 16 before the prom, so I guess I got a little more lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Interesting set and interesting old lens. And the selfies are excellent. They could pass for portrait shots taken by someone else.
Thanks Steven, using the OIShare app and a tablet made it fairly easy to see if I was in focus before firing the shutter, as I mentioned in another thread I don't use the WiFi often but this is one case where it was really helpful.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 11:39 AM   #5

This is a very sharp lens and for $29 dollars it is a bargain..!!
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2016, 2:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
This is a very sharp lens and for $29 dollars it is a bargain..!!
Yes, but is it weather sealed?
Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:06 AM   #7
conor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Agreed! Though, perhaps remove the mirror/frame next time so it's not growing out of your head ;-)
Old Feb 4, 2016, 11:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor View Post
Agreed! Though, perhaps remove the mirror/frame next time so it's not growing out of your head ;-)
Thanks Conor for your feedback, setting the background up properly is a step I missed (it's a clock btw)... was really just an impromptu shot as is also evidenced by messy bed-head hair... I'll have to be a bit more thoughtful about background next time!
Old Feb 4, 2016, 11:18 AM   #9
conor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
Thanks Conor for your feedback, setting the background up properly is a step I missed (it's a clock btw)... was really just an impromptu shot as is also evidenced by messy bed-head hair... I'll have to be a bit more thoughtful about background next time!
I often do that... Set up a neat, impromptu shot, and completely forget about my surroundings... (hey look! a squirrel!)