Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 14, 2016, 2:35 PM   #1

Default 8 mm fisheye

I'm thinking of getting this lens. Has anyone used it? I realize its application is super specialized, but I think it would be a lot of fun for all the outdoors stuff I do and city photography that I would like to do more of. I'm also not so sure of the 7-14 and its tendencies for flare.

Here is my current lineup:

12-40 2.8
25 panasonic 1.4
70 mm 1.8
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2016, 4:19 PM   #2

I had the 8mm fish eye a few years ago with my 4/3 system and it was a nice lens but I get bored very fast because the distortion is too strong specially in city scapes.

If you don't mind to have the distortion on your pictures is a great lens otherwise the 7-14mm I think is a more versatile option for different kind of subjects.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2016, 5:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew881 View Post
I'm thinking of getting this lens. Has anyone used it? I realize its application is super specialized, but I think it would be a lot of fun for all the outdoors stuff I do and city photography that I would like to do more of. I'm also not so sure of the 7-14 and its tendencies for flare.

12-40 2.8
25 panasonic 1.4
70 mm 1.8
Haven't used either, but lots of people really like the rokinon one--which although not as bright, is smaller and cheaper and just as sharp. Might be something to try out without making quite the investment.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2016, 7:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew881 View Post

12-40 2.8
25 panasonic 1.4
70 mm 1.8
I assume you mean the 8mm f1.8 PRO fisheye as opposed to the 9mm f8.0 fisheye bodycaplens?

All I've seen say it's a special piece of glass but as others have mentioned you'll have to really be okay with the fisheye effect.

What's your main reason? I could see this being an excellent lens for astro-night-scapes but not sure the speed is warranted otherwise unless you plan to do ultra close action (like skateboarding or snowboarding). DPreview did do a hands on video review of the 8mm with the 7-14mm by a guy who does skate and rock band photography, you may want to check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Haven't used either, but lots of people really like the rokinon one--which although not as bright, is smaller and cheaper and just as sharp. Might be something to try out without making quite the investment.
I know folob has made some very interesting shots with the Rokinon fisheye, not my cup of tea but certainly a sharp perspective.