Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 2, 2016, 2:14 PM   #1

Default Olympus 7-14mm f2.8 PRO filter adapter

Came across this adapter that allows 100mm square and 100mm x 150mm rectangular filters to be used on the 7-14mm f2.8.

Really cool thing is this was created by a fellow enthusiast who was able to design it and have the adapter 3-d printed on demand via a company called shapeways.

The adapter has a couple of different models starting at $40 and topping out at $70 with the more expensive units having the ability to support stacking of more than one filter.

Haida has also created one but are charging $140 for it here

There's also a DIY option described on dpreview but personally I think it looks like it might leak light.

I think I'll try the shapeways kit as soon as my wallet recovers a bit and start looking for a decent set of filters too.
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2016, 10:24 AM   #2

I followed the development of this in a series of posts the creator made over in the Micro Four-Thirds forum at DPReview.

It's amazing what one can do with a creative mind and a 3-D printer. The only reason I would imagine no mainstream seller produced something similar is, perceived sales numbers just would not have been there to justify production.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2016, 11:42 AM   #3

Outside of a polarizer, UV or ND filter, I'm not so sure there is a big demand for filters for digital cams. You can do pretty much all you want to with editing software. When I had film cameras I had a box full of the Cokin slide in filters that I used often but since digital, I have never had an urge or need to use one.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 12:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I followed the development of this in a series of posts the creator made over in the Micro Four-Thirds forum at DPReview.

It's amazing what one can do with a creative mind and a 3-D printer. The only reason I would imagine no mainstream seller produced something similar is, perceived sales numbers just would not have been there to justify production.
agreed, was amazed to see that Haida has a system but not surprised at the high cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Outside of a polarizer, UV or ND filter, I'm not so sure there is a big demand for filters for digital cams. You can do pretty much all you want to with editing software. When I had film cameras I had a box full of the Cokin slide in filters that I used often but since digital, I have never had an urge or need to use one.
Well polarizers really don't work so well with UWA lenses like the 7-14mm due to the variety of angles which the light takes into the bulbous front element.

However ND filters certainly have a role in a digital world to turn moving water into creamy fog, that's primarily why I am looking at ways to put a filter on the 7-14.

I also am seeing a role for the graduated filters, while I think there is much you can do in post it comes down to exposure and turning exposure down on an overexposed sky can only go so far before things start getting a bit grey. HDR techniques can overcome this if you're willing to blend multiple images in post.