Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 27, 2016, 10:31 PM   #1

Default ....more B&W using ASPro2 w/NIK plug-in

Aftershot PRO 2 allows interface to an external editor plug-in, e.g. NIK Silver efex PRO 2 for B&W conversion.

So, with just a click any file being edited in ASPro2 may be directly exported to whatever external editor is set in ASPpro2 preferences; makes it vey quick and easy to pass a file.

The NIK processors only work with tiff 8 or 16 bit and clicking on the NIK SAVE button does just that, it saves the edited file as tiff 8 or 16 bit as set up in the NIK editor plug-in.
IF wanted the resultant edited file may be saved as JPG by opening the NIK Menu BAR FILE and doing SAVE AS....... {filename} with suffix JPG having been selected in the pulldown.

All in all a pretty neat file editing experience... should anyone be interested the complete NIK plug-in collection may be downloaded FREE for the $150 set from GOOGLE here => http://tinyurl.com/potvpoo

...a couple NIK Silver Efex PRO 2 conversions simulating Agfa APX Pro 100 film.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Mar 28, 2016 at 7:42 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2016, 3:57 AM   #2
TG

Very nice Bob, I think everyone's being downloading the NIK plug-in collection since they became free.
Have you always used Aftershot Pro Bob? I remember using Bibble for a while (very fast RAW processor), which Corel purchased.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2016, 7:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Very nice Bob, I think everyone's being downloading the NIK plug-in collection since they became free. Have you always used Aftershot Pro Bob? I remember using Bibble for a while (very fast RAW processor), which Corel purchased.
Thanks Tom, yes, I've used since it was Bibble v1.0. At one time I had most all the available plug-ins for Bibble / ASPro but since the current 2.n 64-bit version I gave up trying to keep up with those.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Mar 28, 2016 at 7:47 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 8:11 AM   #4

The Nik plugins are a favorite of mine. I don't regret paying for them even though they're free now.

Though (and I'm the minority) I've never had luck getting results I like out of SilverEFX--it's just me though because everyone loves it.

To people new using it--get really used to the idea of the "control points." It's the shining idea of the whole suite. The easiest to get started on might be viveza, but now for me ColorEFX is by far my most used one.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2016, 3:02 PM   #5

Nice use of black and white. Thanks for sharing.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2016, 4:41 PM   #6

Bob, that last image is a beautiful B&W file. Are you shooting cars to some extent again? The angle, the contrast, everything. Beautiful.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2016, 5:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Bob, that last image is a beautiful B&W file. Are you shooting cars to some extent again? The angle, the contrast, everything. Beautiful.
Thanks Greg, that file is from 2013.... I've been to the Friday evening show
only a couple times this year and haven't shot any yet this year.

A good friend bought a beautiful 1957 Bel Air Chevy 2-dr sedan (white over red) recently; I need to get it photographed for Joe soon.

Since my stroke I have quite a difficult time getting to/from ground level to shoot the perspective angles I always have; that has cut my enthusiasm some. I would like to get back to the cars but not sure it will happen, certainly not as it was.

.....here is the original file of the car, 1957 Ranchero ... I am seen in the bumper, that stance doesn't happen any more for me (lol).
All my Friday show photos were done with E-P3 + VF-2 + FT 9-18

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Mar 28, 2016 at 6:00 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 9:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan
Since my stroke I have quite a difficult time getting to/from ground level to shoot the perspective angles I always have; that has cut my enthusiasm some. I would like to get back to the cars but not sure it will happen, certainly not as it was.

.....here is the original file of the car, 1957 Ranchero ... I am seen in the bumper, that stance doesn't happen any more for me (lol).
Have you tried the oi share app? If you have a compatible camera you get live view controls and shutter from a paired phone or tablet. I could imagine a modified selfie stick or monopod with camera at one end and a cell phone at the other to allow you to get that low angle still. Pretty sure I can find the parts to put something together if the idea sounds interesting.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 12:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
Have you tried the oi share app? If you have a compatible camera you get live view controls and shutter from a paired phone or tablet. I could imagine a modified selfie stick or monopod with camera at one end and a cell phone at the other to allow you to get that low angle still. Pretty sure I can find the parts to put something together if the idea sounds interesting.

.....yes, I have used oiShare and it works very well, though I've not used it with the newer releases of the app.

I've used the app for extended monopod reach for overhead crowd scene shots at the arts festivals I shoot and have used it a couple times at the car shows.
Using that combination makes work of something that I wish to remain fun so probably I won't attempt it for much other than the novelty of using it that way occasionally.
Thanks for the tip and offer, I appreciate the suggestion.

On Facebook I follow a professional nature photographer, Shannon Benson or as her camera handle 'Shannon Wild' => https://www.facebook.com/ShannonWild/?fref=ts

Shannon also makes youtube video of her shoots and I found this one of her modified monopod w/skateboard type wheels which she used for extreme closeup to video Kimodo Dragons => http://bit.ly/SWTVKOMODO

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Mar 29, 2016 at 12:39 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 6:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook View Post
Nice use of black and white. Thanks for sharing.
My thoughts also.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote