Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 28, 2016, 11:08 PM   #1

Default New monitor, old photos

I had been looking at new compy monitors for months now, and finally pulled the trigger on a nice 27 inch Dell Ultrasharp 1440p. It's not 4K and not wide gamut but it looks great.

Decided to take 'er for a spin and finally get to processing some of my favorites from my short trip to Florida last summer. I had been avoiding a few of these, honestly: afraid I wasn't going to get them as I imagined them.

Big Pine Key, Bahia Honda State Park.Not many beaches in the keys (it's rocky) but this one was unreal. I recommend anyone who can take the drive down US1 from Miami to Key West. Just the drive is worth the time even if you don't stop anywhere.
crab.jpg by sammykhalifa, on Flickr

Key West Lighthouse.
key west lighthouse.jpg by sammykhalifa, on Flickr

Sunrise at the hotel balcony in Pompano Beach

hotel balcony sunrise.jpg by sammykhalifa, on Flickr

untitled-17-2-Edit.jpg by sammykhalifa, on Flickr

heron1.jpg by sammykhalifa, on Flickr

Parrots at the tourist destination "Butterfly World." Shooting parrots kind of feels like cheating.

parrots vignette.jpg by sammykhalifa, on Flickr

Not a good photograph but good memory. I got the chance to go out into the beach at night with a marine biology group to release some newly hatch sea turtles, and we saw another one come to shore to lay some eggs. No lights were allowed--this was with the guide's red flashlight that I turned into B&W. The least blurry one.

Florida-183.jpg by sammykhalifa, on Flickr

They do good work, in studying and in rehabbing injured turtles.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:05 PM   #2

Wow great set Sammy, really like the first one and the lighthouse but the last one of the turtle is amazing what you can pull out of a tough situation.

Out of curiosity did you do anything to calibrate the new monitor? I've been considering picking up a color calibrator as I wonder often times how "right" the monitors I use are.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
Wow great set Sammy, really like the first one and the lighthouse but the last one of the turtle is amazing what you can pull out of a tough situation.

Out of curiosity did you do anything to calibrate the new monitor? I've been considering picking up a color calibrator as I wonder often times how "right" the monitors I use are.
Agreed, great set Sammy!

ramcewan, I've found that colors can be off by quite a bit when calibrating with devices like datacolor's Spyder, etc. I run dual Dell 24" monitors, and when you finish calibrating one and compare it to the other one with factory settings, there's huge difference.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2016, 3:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
Agreed, great set Sammy!

ramcewan, I've found that colors can be off by quite a bit when calibrating with devices like datacolor's Spyder, etc. I run dual Dell 24" monitors, and when you finish calibrating one and compare it to the other one with factory settings, there's huge difference.
Sounds like you find the calibration devices to be worth the time and money. Any particular brand you recommend on a budget?
Old Mar 29, 2016, 3:36 PM   #5

Oh, thanks both of you by the way!

Quote:
Sounds like you find the calibration devices to be worth the time and money. Any particular brand you recommend on a budget?
I got one of the colormunki photo colorimeters--there are certainly ones that are more in-depth and do more things and work different ways, but I'm starting to come to the conclusion that National Geographic isn't going to call me any time real soon. It seemed good enough, and made the print a lot closer to what I'm seeing on my screen. Now that was on my old monitor--this one was supposed to come pre-calibrated and seems really close from what I can tell (an "expert eye" might tell you different).

Now it was way brighter than what the calibration wanted me to have it on. I guess most of us have our monitors normally a lot brighter than what is "correct."

This is the one I got:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...i_Display.html

Though from what I can tell both of the main companies are about as good as each other. This just happened to be the one that was on sale at the time.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 4:09 PM   #6

Speaking of calibration, do the reds in the parrot shot look blown out to you guys on your end? They weren't here but I felt like i was cutting it close. I like that shot a lot but I might run a little bit of sharpening on it too.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 4:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Speaking of calibration, do the reds in the parrot shot look blown out to you guys on your end? They weren't here but I felt like i was cutting it close. I like that shot a lot but I might run a little bit of sharpening on it too.
A tad bit on the bird being groomed, I might try moving the highlights slider to the left as a first step before de-saturating the red channel.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 1:07 PM   #8

Quote:
I do. As for a particular brand, I've been very happy with datacolor products over the years. Currently I have the Spyder4 Pro. They are pricey, though. I can't really recommend any budget calibration devices, as I just haven't used any and I would hate to recommend something that doesn't work well.

Good luck!
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2016, 7:47 PM   #9

That is a superb set of images. I like them all and am not even going to try and pick a favorite.
Good job!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2016, 10:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
That is a superb set of images. I like them all and am not even going to try and pick a favorite.
Good job!
Thanks Steven! I had posted some everglades shots from this trip several months ago, and then just got distracted and forgot to go back to some of these. I'm really happy with them for the most part.

Going back to the super-red parrot shot for a moment, I tried printing it out a few nights ago and a lot of the reds were really blown, even more than I see in this monitor here at work. I tried using the "soft proofing" option in Lightroom for the first time, where it let me pick the paper and printer I was using and tells you what is out of range for the printer. The next 8x10 was good, but at first to my eyes looked really dull and dark. Now, though, when I look at the old version above it's the one that looks over done though all the details in the hightlights are still there here on this monitor. I suppose it's not going to be very often where you have something that super saturated in red but it was an interesting thing to see.