Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:52 AM   #1

Default Aruban Sunsets with the 7-14mm PRO

Still working through my Aruba images and wanted to share a few sunsets, nothing like the Aruban beaches for absolutely beautiful sunsets.

First up is the beach at the resort we stayed at, the Divi Pheonix, I tried to use the leading line of the beach to the jetty to draw up to the sunset. There's a sail boat in the sunset and two tankers off to the right. I wrestled with "shopping" the tankers out of these shots but left them in as they were there, they park off shore waiting their turn to unload their Venezuelan crude at the refinery on the other part of the island.

#1 Cropped to 16 x 9, f5.6 @7mm and ISO 200
Divi Phoenix Sunset by ramcewan, on Flickr

Now a couple shots taken on Eagle beach of what is a very popular subject, the Divi trees. Due to the constant trade winds they grow in this fashion and provide a unique subject. This particular spot is very popular and probably one of the most photogenic spots on the island, being featured in many pictures, paintings and even on their currency. There are two Divi trees, one small and one larger, unseen is the small crowd of photogs gathered next to me also shooting the same seen, had a nice chat with an Austrian gentleman shooting with a Nikon full frame, didn't talk about gear but did talk about the island and bringing back some of the dutch treats, cheeses, stroop waffles and droppies (a type of candy), you can get there.

All taken at f5.6, ISO 200 and handheld. All three of these shots posed unique issues bringing out the details in the Divi trees while tuning the sky for the sunset.

#2: 9mm with the larger of the two trees, I used gradient filter from the top to expose the sky as desired and painted up the shadows +20 on the tree and foilage in LR.
Divi Tree Sunset at Eagle Beach by ramcewan, on Flickr

#3: 8mm with both trees in frame cropped to 16x9. I used the brush to paint the shadows on the trees up and then used the brush to paint saturation up and exposure and highlights down on the sky around them.
Divi Trees Sunset by ramcewan, on Flickr

#4: 7mm up close to the smaller tree, cropped to 16x9. I used the brush to paint a mask on the beach, ocean, and tree and upped shadows before adjusting the image for the sunset and adding a gradient filter from the upper left corner.
Small Divi Tree Sunset by ramcewan, on Flickr

Finally if these are most photogenic trees this must be one of the most photogenic boys on the island, he was running around as his mom kept telling him to stay out of the pictures in Papiamento, the local tongue combining Portuguese and African languages with smatterings of Dutch, Spanish, English and American Indian. He was having a blast running up to photographers crouched on the ground and asking for his picture to be taken, who was I to deny his request, especially with such a happy smile! The national moto is "One Happy Island" and he certainly embodies it.

#5: 14mm, uncropped with minimal processing.
Photogenic Aruban Boy by ramcewan, on Flickr

Last edited by ramcewan; Apr 20, 2016 at 10:59 AM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:05 AM   #2

Hey man,

I mentioned this on Flickr, hafta like all of these but I really like how the two trees balance each other out in #3. It's a winner for sure.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Hey man,

I mentioned this on Flickr, hafta like all of these but I really like how the two trees balance each other out in #3. It's a winner for sure.
Sammy,

I did see your comment on Flickr and I agree it does have a nice balance, thank you for saying it again!
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
Sammy,

I did see your comment on Flickr and I agree it does have a nice balance, thank you for saying it again!

And at 16x9 I'm sure it makes a great PC desktop.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:44 PM   #5

I have to agree. I like them all, but I'm leaning to the second shot as my favorite.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:52 PM   #6

GREAT shots ramcewan
All VERY nice I pick No. 2 as my favorite
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2016, 2:29 PM   #7

Beautiful shots!

#2 looks very familiar, we may see that as a PotD in the future.. cough..
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2016, 4:35 PM   #8

Aruba is one beautiful island, and these certainly did it justice. Beautiful sunsets.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2016, 8:53 PM   #9

Thanks alll, I have to admit that over time I have grown to love #4, it's opposite the normal left to right flow we learn through reading but the way it all comes out and flows really just does it for me. I think I need to reprocess #2 in the same fashion and see what it looks like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
And at 16x9 I'm sure it makes a great PC desktop.
Since buying a Nexus 10, which is getting near end of life, I have gravitated towards the 16x9 format as it just looks so great at 300dpi on the screen,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
I have to agree. I like them all, but I'm leaning to the second shot as my favorite.
Thanks Steven, it is a classic composition and has been resident on my laptop screen since I got back, a moment of zen in my work day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredS View Post
GREAT shots ramcewan
All VERY nice I pick No. 2 as my favorite
Thanks Fred!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
Beautiful shots!

#2 looks very familiar, we may see that as a PotD in the future.. cough..
Thank you Billy and yes it was certainly submitted, I look forward to (hopefully) seeing it grace the front page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Aruba is one beautiful island, and these certainly did it justice. Beautiful sunsets.
Thanks Greg, it was our third time in Aruba and probably not our last. We love it, safe, friendly people who speak english, you can use your dollars, you can drive a car, good to excellent restaurants, direct flights on Jet Blue from Boston and other places, and did I mention safe, like you never feel scared for your wallet or your person, and of course absolutely beautiful sensets!

Oh and I have no regrets trading the 9-18mm for the 7-14; while I did not use the faster aperture I found good use for the wider view although it took some getting used to, especially being aware of my feet and other people near me who would not normally be in frame at other focal lengths, but gosh, especially at 16x9 it captures a wide swath of the landscape very well.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 7:34 AM   #10
TG

Great series, #1 for me 16x9 crop works well, colours in the sky look great, like the composition with sand & sea
TG is offline   Reply With Quote