Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:02 PM   #1

Default Rip em-5

Was hiking in the Dolomites and got caught in a quick hail and rain storm. Didn't have a dry bag and the camera got pretty soaked. The 12-40 pro lens seems to be fine, but the camera no longer turns on. Has anyone worked with Olympus for water damage? I'm guessing it is probably cheaper to just buy another em-5 on close out, or by an em-5 mark II.

Here are some of the last photos taken with the camera. It had a good run.

drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2016, 6:07 PM   #2

Really nice shots.

Sorry to hear about your camera. Go to the official Olympus America repair service:
http://www.oiaservice.com/

Their current quote for a full EM-5 repair is a flat rate of $165.85. I used their service to repair my 12-60mm lens and they did an excellent job.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2016, 7:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Really nice shots.

Sorry to hear about your camera. Go to the official Olympus America repair service:
http://www.oiaservice.com/

Their current quote for a full EM-5 repair is a flat rate of $165.85. I used their service to repair my 12-60mm lens and they did an excellent job.
I didn't know about this quote service. Does the price ever go above this? That is pretty cheap. I did a google search and saw they were charging 370 something for a guy who had water damage to his EM-1, so I was a bit deterred.
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2016, 8:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew881 View Post
I didn't know about this quote service. Does the price ever go above this? That is pretty cheap. I did a google search and saw they were charging 370 something for a guy who had water damage to his EM-1, so I was a bit deterred.
When I got my lens fixed, the cost was exactly the quote. The only thing extra that I paid was to the post office to ship and insure to their site. Olympus even provided the shipping label with an assigned customer number so it went to the right department. And Olympus also paid for the return shipping/insurance back to me after the repair.

While my cost was the exact same as the quote, the fine print on the website states that the cost may go up for very extensive damage, but they will send a new quote and would not repair without your acceptance of the cost.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2016, 12:40 PM   #5

The past couple of times I've had work done, the flat rate was the price. First time the SWD motor went on my 12-60mm f2.8-4 it cost over $300 to get it fixed, but those were the days before the flat rate quotes.

What a beautiful place to have your camera give up the ghost.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote