Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 30, 2017, 5:02 PM   #1

Default OK, the deal is done.....

The 12-100mm f4 will be in my hands on Wednesday, LOL. Slipped in while B&H still has it in-stock.

No E-M1 Mark II for a little while yet. I'll continue to "make do" with the E-M1 and E-M5 II.....for now...
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:49 PM   #2

Default New Lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
The 12-100mm f4 will be in my hands on Wednesday, LOL. Slipped in while B&H still has it in-stock.

No E-M1 Mark II for a little while yet. I'll continue to "make do" with the E-M1 and E-M5 II.....for now...
You are better (!) than me ... I almost went for the 75mm when it was at $849(CND) .... but I put an hold to buy anything until I see the EM-1 MK II going down in price.

You will love that one !

Congrats!

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:47 AM   #3

I'm looking forward to it.

Been doing most of my Olympus raw processing in DXO Optics Pro and noticed the other day the 12-100 f4 is supposed to be supported by DXO at some point this month, so this was the time to jump. Have a few trips planned this year and wanted to have this lens as an option to combine with the 7-14mm f2.8 and I'll probably start keeping the 1.4X attached to the 40-150 now that the normal lens will be extended to 100mm coverage. The IQ is pretty darn nice with the TC. There may be times I even leave the 40-150 behind and just utilize the 7-14/12-100 combination.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 2:02 PM   #4

Lens received.....wow. The combined stabilization between body and lens systems is simply amazing. The feel of the lens on the grip-less E-M1 is wonderful. I can see it possibly being a little front heavy on the E-M5II without its' grip. I'll have to check that out this evening.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Feb 1, 2017 at 2:04 PM.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 5:38 AM   #5

Hi Greg,

Looking forward to seeing first set of images.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:58 AM   #6

This weekend will be when I start getting out with it, but just goofing around taking some test shots from the office window this morning with the E-M1, I captured some early morning images of the uptown area of Dallas that look tack sharp on the back LCD at 100mm, hand held, as slow as one-half second.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Feb 2, 2017 at 4:38 PM.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 6:38 AM   #7

I know a perfect place you can try out the new lens, but, it involves a trip to Houston on Sunday

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:30 AM   #8

I have a feeling anyone showing up with that lens on any camera would be turned away by security, LOL...

I've pretty much stopped trying to get any camera in to any sporting event. If I don't want to go to enjoy the game, I just save my money and do something else. With ticket prices today, that's been a lot of money saved.

Back to the lens, it is one beautifully made piece of kit. The zoom ring is pretty darn slick in use, with absolutely no zoom creep. The things stays where you've set it, pointed up, down or anywhere in-between, and the lens hood design has been changed. Olympus has obviously listened to complaints about the hood falling off too easily due to the buttons being easy to hit. This hood has just one release button instead of one on each side, and it's both snuggled down towards the mount area and almost completely flush with the hood, meaning it's pretty much shielded from being accidently hit from nudging up against a side wall in the bag while being carried and mounted in the shooting position.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 7:20 PM   #9
TG

Well done Greg, Can't wait to see some photos from this lens from you especially the hand held slow shutter speed IS shots. There's been nothing but rave reviews about this lens.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2017, 10:06 PM   #10

Default A few "First Day" images

A little cool and gray today, but still got a good series of test images across the zoom range. I'll be adding additional images to this folder over time.

https://gmchappell.smugmug.com/Other...-Pro/i-kkFJjbD

These were raw files, captured with the E-M1 and processed in Adobe Camera raw since DXO Optics Pro 11 does not yet support the lens. It's supposed to at some point this month.

12mm, at f4..

12mm, f4 and 1/13 second..

100mm, at f4..

44mm at f5.6..

12mm at f4..

23mm at f4 and 1/10 second..

50mm at f4..

28mm at f4..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Feb 4, 2017 at 10:08 PM.