Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 25, 2017, 10:32 AM   #1

Default The E-M1 and 12-100mm f4 M. Zuiko with DXO Optics Pro 11

Have had the updated program with the raw profile for the 12-100mm f4 for several days now. Nice combination.

As with all lenses before now, if you want a wider field of view from the same file, it's easy, just use DXO on the same files you've previously processed in anything else.

12mm with DXO..

vs. Adobe camera raw..

If you want straight lines, use DXO..

DXO..

Adobe camera raw. The difference in the straight lines is quite substantial. Pretty amazing how much bowed distrortion is not being corrected internally by Olympus. Just look at that top line compared to the above image.

and that's besides, I just love the colors you get by default with DXO before anything you might ever do to enhance them.

100mm at f4.

another at 100mm and f4..

and yet another..

35mm and f4..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2017, 6:20 PM   #2
TG

Nice Greg looks like a great walk around lens. That's always been the bonus with DXO Optics lens profiles with that extra field of view and lens correction. Used it for a while when I shot Canon but preferred Capture One Pro, might have to download a demo and give it a try.
Does DXO show the crop of the ratio you were shooting (like in OLYMPUS Viewer 3) or does it display full native 4:3 sensor size? All other RAW processing software I have tried does this which I find a bit inconvenient?

Last edited by TG; Feb 26, 2017 at 4:15 AM.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2017, 10:00 AM   #3

The cropping in DXO works a lot like Viewer 3 in that you see the full frame with the selected crop inside. Did I answer that right?

The one thing that always held me back with DXO was it's inability compared to Adobe camera raw at the highlights end to avoid slight clipping in extremes. That's been pretty close to even with the last two versions of DXO. In the most extreme circumstances, ACR still has tools that'll get the job done that DXO lacks, like the gradient filter and localized edits.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 12:16 PM   #4

Interesting shots and comparison info.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2017, 1:48 PM   #5

Seems like a great all rounder. Is it unwieldy large though?
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2017, 2:53 PM   #6

Not too bad really. I haven't done any images to compare. It's a little longer than the 12-40mm f2.8 and much lighter than the 40-150mm f2.8. It's about what one should expect for a constant f4 zoom that bridges all but 50mm of the zoom range of those two lenses.

The zoom action is quite excellent. Smooth, yet firm with no creep whatsoever. You can set it anywhere in the range and point it up or down and it's not going anywhere until you change it.

If all you were carrying was the 12-40mm f2.8 then yes, it's a little big, but as a replacement for the 12-40 and 40-150mm f2.8's, it's a big step down in size and weight.