Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:51 PM   #1

Default One minute thirty eight seconds.

I know you've all seen hundreds of these by now; most of which are much better made by experts with better equipment, so thanks for indulging me here.

I made the drive down to the mountains in Western North Carolina for a trip that was only a few days. It seemed like an eternity though. After some driving through the Blue Ridge and doing some hiking (pics later), I took a tourist train out to a small town on the edge of the Smoky Mountains Ntl Park to see totality. If you haven't seen it . . . well, I've been trying to think of a way to describe without sounding cheesy. It's everything that everyone says it is. I am not usually prone to being taken in by much, and honestly a lot of things seem disappointing compared to what people make them out to be. Not this. I'll never go on a Pilgrimage but I imagine this is kind of what it's like for people.

(most of these are obviously cropped as my 45-200 would not really get anything nearly that close. also, you'll see a slight grey edge around the edge of the moon/sun in the totality shots. that's where lightroom was adjusting the big magenta chromatic aberration. i'll probably try to brush that to black or something at some point)

untitled-1-2.jpg by sammykhalifa, on Flickr

untitled-10.jpg by sammykhalifa, on Flickr

untitled-22.jpg by sammykhalifa, on Flickr

untitled-35.jpg by sammykhalifa, on Flickr

untitled-44.jpg by sammykhalifa, on Flickr

untitled-54.jpg by sammykhalifa, on Flickr

Last edited by SammyKhalifa; Aug 23, 2017 at 9:57 PM.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:53 PM   #2

untitled-2.jpg by sammykhalifa, on Flickr

untitled-4.jpg by sammykhalifa, on Flickr

untitled-5.jpg by sammykhalifa, on Flickr

untitled-7.jpg by sammykhalifa, on Flickr

untitled-8.jpg by sammykhalifa, on Flickr

untitled-8-2.jpg by sammykhalifa, on Flickr
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
I really liked shots.
Maitri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:59 PM   #4

Wow Sammy, what a great shots...!!!

The #3 of the 2nd batch is just beautiful..!!

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:00 PM   #5

Those are better than most of the shots 0n the network news sites. Ppro quality.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2017, 6:58 AM   #6

Great series of photos. Thanks for sharing

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2017, 8:40 AM   #7

Default 2:30

First, Sammy's pictures are wonderful. I do not pretend to have anything as good, but just wanted to make another contribution.

In Columbia, South Carolina, totality lasted a bit longer, at 2 minutes 30 seconds. Fortunately, the clouds rolling in did not impede the view.

I wasn't going to take any photos since I had no proper filter, and was in a neighbor's back yard with a fellow who had a great Nikon D500 setup. A couple of minutes before totality, I realized that one could take photos at totality without a filter, and rushed into the house and got the E-M1 Mark 1, 20-500 non-SWD lens, and a funky tripod. Because of a number of factors, including poor bracketing by the photographer, the tripod not being able to be adjusted and so having to take the photos handheld, and my general lack of preparation or knowledge, I got about three acceptable totality photos, if heavily cropped. I printed one at 13x19 and put it on my door at work, and people have been intrigued, I think mostly by the event.

What I printed
Name:  eclipse edit 372.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  23.4 KB

And a further crop
Name:  eclipse 1.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  77.6 KB
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2017, 8:58 AM   #8

.....fantastic images Sammy.

I did not try and did not make a 'pinhole' viewer, I missed the whole thing except for photos such as yours, which are simply 'better' than most I've seen.

Thank you for sharing .... very well done Sammy.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:41 AM   #9

Thanks everyone! I certainly won't forget it. Sure there are things I would do differently with the photos if I were to do it again, maybe try to get some wides and stuff like that . . . but it's not like you have a chance to practice, haha. I'm thinking of tweaking one of the shots with the clouds and getting one of those metal prints made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
Wow Sammy, what a great shots...!!!

The #3 of the 2nd batch is just beautiful..!!

Marcelo
Thank you Marcelo. It's only like a week ago and already almost feels like it wasn't real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maitri View Post
I really liked shots.
I am glad you liked them. I didn't think I'd get anything, but wanted to try. Basically I sat the camera on a tripod with the exposure at - a few EV and just hit the shutter every once in a while (between gawking). It seemed like it lasted a lot longer than it did in real time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Those are better than most of the shots 0n the network news sites. Ppro quality.
Woe, thanks steven. Full disclosure, there were a lot of throwaways where focus didn't hit or I nudged the camera (my trigger wasn't working), but I won't complain. That's why you only show the "good" ones right, so people don't see you messing up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Great series of photos. Thanks for sharing

Zig
Thanks Zig. I took a few days to explore that area before the eclipse, so I didn't make the thousand mile round trip in order to watch something that lasted two minutes (and only if it wasn't cloudy). Still getting around to processing those but I like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
.....fantastic images Sammy.

I did not try and did not make a 'pinhole' viewer, I missed the whole thing except for photos such as yours, which are simply 'better' than most I've seen.

Thank you for sharing .... very well done Sammy.
Thanks Bob. Sorry you missed it. I used a cheapo paper filter from B&H for the partial ones. It's basically the viewing glasses material inside a round cardboard holder instead of glasses-shaped cardboard holder. There were more pro level ones for sale, but I couldn't see spending large amounts of money for something I'd only use once. These are fine for what I was doing with it (showing people online, haha).

Hoping you guys down in Texas are doing okay (not really sure exactly where you are and if you're affected).
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook View Post
First, Sammy's pictures are wonderful. I do not pretend to have anything as good, but just wanted to make another contribution.

In Columbia, South Carolina, totality lasted a bit longer, at 2 minutes 30 seconds. Fortunately, the clouds rolling in did not impede the view.

I wasn't going to take any photos since I had no proper filter, and was in a neighbor's back yard with a fellow who had a great Nikon D500 setup. A couple of minutes before totality, I realized that one could take photos at totality without a filter, and rushed into the house and got the E-M1 Mark 1, 20-500 non-SWD lens, and a funky tripod. Because of a number of factors, including poor bracketing by the photographer, the tripod not being able to be adjusted and so having to take the photos handheld, and my general lack of preparation or knowledge, I got about three acceptable totality photos, if heavily cropped. I printed one at 13x19 and put it on my door at work, and people have been intrigued, I think mostly by the event.

What I printed
Attachment 207282

And a further crop
Attachment 207281
Hey,

Thanks for sharing those. People had some incredible setups where I was camped out too--my EM10 on a travel tripod looked silly next to them, haha. Did you take those in RAW? You might be able to recover some of the highlights. Either way, as a print I bet it looks really dramatic. I don't know how you feel but nothing I've seen quite capture the experience fully but hopefully it'll give people an idea when they see it.