Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:02 AM   #1
TG

Smile E-M1 II C-AF 18 fps Electronic Shutter

Haven't had much of a play with the E-M1 II yet. My daughter's birthday today and she got a new bike. What a great opportunity to have a bit of a play with the E-M1 II C-AF (win win situation for both of us )
Took some test shots with the E-M1 II set to C-AF, Electronic Shutter, sequential Low (18 fps, maximum for C-AF and still get auto exposure) with the 40-150 Pro.
Shots taken at 150mm at 1/800 sec. Using five focus points cross shape aimed on her, two lots of shots were taken both for 4 sec with a total of 68 frames each working out to 17 fps. JPEG images straight from camera resized in PS. Very impressed no blackout (very minimal does not effect image in view finder and no issue following subject), only had one soft shot in each burst and both times second last shot and C-AF remained locked on subject.
Can't wait to try some motorsport & BIF, will be interesting if there's any distortion from the rolling shutter from what I've read and seen it's very minimal with the E-M1 II.

Here are some shots from this little test, frames 1,34 & 68 both times.

Test 1

Test 2

Last edited by TG; Dec 4, 2017 at 7:42 AM.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:09 AM   #2

Nice results.

I've spent the weekend working on creating some custom settings to save on the C1, C2 and C3 buttons so I can go there quickly for shooting action/birds when the opportunity arises. Did you utilize the +/- option of expanding or narrowing the area covered by the 5 box AF array?

The only worries I would have with using the electronic shutter is the rolling shutter effect since the image is scanned across the frame. May be this type action would not show the affect to the extent a motor car travelling 150-175MPH might. I found some suggested settings from one of the Olympus visionaries who uses the "slower" mechanical 10 frames per second setting. Amazing were talking 10 frames per second being slower. Dang, I wished the silly local horse track would still let people in to shoot with these type cameras.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Dec 4, 2017 at 8:11 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:16 PM   #3
TG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Nice results.

I've spent the weekend working on creating some custom settings to save on the C1, C2 and C3 buttons so I can go there quickly for shooting action/birds when the opportunity arises. Did you utilize the +/- option of expanding or narrowing the area covered by the 5 box AF array?

The only worries I would have with using the electronic shutter is the rolling shutter effect since the image is scanned across the frame. May be this type action would not show the affect to the extent a motor car travelling 150-175MPH might. I found some suggested settings from one of the Olympus visionaries who uses the "slower" mechanical 10 frames per second setting. Amazing were talking 10 frames per second being slower. Dang, I wished the silly local horse track would still let people in to shoot with these type cameras.
Thanks Greg, no I didn't try expanding or narrowing the AF area, Yes high speed car will be interesting with the rolling shutter effect. Haven't tried the the mechanical shutter at 10 fps, with the E-M1 the blackout was too long and was hard tracking the subject. I rarely used sequential shooting for this reason.
Have to play around with camera a lot more but so far I'm vey impressed with its C-AF performance miles in front of the E-M1 as I have done the same test before with the E-M1

Last edited by TG; Dec 4, 2017 at 2:26 PM.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote