Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old May 30, 2003, 9:36 PM   #1

Default Kudos to CompUSA - kinda long

I recently purchased a C-2100 from e-bay. At the time of purchase it still had about 6 weeks on the manufacturer's warranty, as well as a 3 year extended warranty from Comp USA. To be honest, that 3 year extended is why I got this particular Uzi.

Saturday 3 weeks ago tomorrow, I took the camera to an outdoor concert to snap pictures. At this point, I had the camera less than 2 weeks. Well, I took a few shots, then put it away. Got it back out later to take a few more. Would not turn on. Switched batteries - still would not turn on. Switched batteries to an unopened pkg of those high dollar Energizer throw-away batteries. STILL dead. The next day, I hooked it up to the A/C power adapter - and it still would not start.

So, off I went to CompUSA. They took all my info, looked at the camera, (still would not turn on), said they would send it off to Olympus for them to look at it. No prob - full warranty - 2 of them as a matter of fact.

Well, to make a long story shorter - the camera got misplaced in the shop and did not get sent off for almost 2 weeks! It was *supposed* to be back by yesterday - but just got sent out yesterday. I was very upset because my son is graduating tomorrow and I had so much wanted to get pics of the graduation and I needed that Uzi for that.

I explained to the manager why I was upset and you know what they did? They have LOANED me a brand new HP photosmart 850 - sealed box and all. They let me pick from all of the digicams that they had in stock - I took the one that had the longest zoom because they were out of the other Oly C series cameras which would have been my preferred choice. (Seems they are hot graduation gifts around here). I am to keep the camera until my Uzi comes back home. :lol: They even threw in an extra 64MB memory card!

Anyway, I have never heard of any store doing something like that. I was very impressed that they care enough about their customers to act so kindly and considerate.

You can be assured that I will send anybody who asks, "where best to buy electronics ", straight to CompUSA in Mesquite, TX.

Regards,
~Tiger
TigerLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2003, 11:11 AM   #2
lg

I'm very glad to hear about your good fortune with an extended warranty. More often than not, you only hear "It's not worth the money." My opinion is still weighted very heavily towards that also, but thanks for a fresh perspective that we all need to take under advisement.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2003, 9:34 AM   #3

You contacted a very good manager. He realizes that people will travel far for good service but will not drive next door for bad service. I hope the graduation pictures were great.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2003, 7:27 PM   #4

Tiger...

Is your Oly C2100uz back?

If so, how is it performing?
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2003, 10:03 PM   #5

Default It is not back yet and I am having withdrawals!

No, it is still at Olympus. They told me it might be 4 to 5 weeks before I see it again. I feel almost as if my pet is in the veterinary hospital and I am not allowed visiting rights ops:

At this point, I still do not even know what was/is wrong with it.

Regards,
~Tiger
Old Jun 4, 2003, 10:13 PM   #6
lg

Be of good cheer! The repairs I had done by the Olympus repair department were top notch, and I feel your pain-- I missed mine while it was gone. For some peace of mind, you can check on the status of your repair by typing in the serial number of your camera at their website.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2003, 8:21 PM   #7

Default it's home now!

Well, my Uzi is finally back home. 1 month and 1 day after it was taken to the shop because it had "died"".

It got a firmware upgrade, the optics opened, cleaned, and realigned, and a new powercard.

It seems to be working just fine again and this weekend, I should be able to take it out and run it thru its paces.

~Tiger