Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 5, 2003, 12:14 AM   #1

Default c730 vs c740

Hi.
I am about to buy an olympus C-730 at buydig.com (at 414U$S).
I saw that the C-740 in some places is around the same cost...
So.. my questions are...
Is the c740 much better than the c730? the only thing that makes me want it are the ED lens... but it does not have connector for external flash..
the c750 is perfect, but so pricey
is olympus going to release some new camera this days? a new ultrazoom?
ltcdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2003, 4:44 AM   #2

from what i've seen, the ED lens is the only thing commending the 740 over the 730, which lacks the new lens but has a flash connector, remote control capability, and dual SM/xD card capabilities (albeit only one card can be used at a time).

The much reduced CA seems to be one of the major benefits of the ED lens, but i have also noticed that most 730 owners i know feel that they can mostly post-process the CA out of their pictures.

Just my personal opinion, but if you can't go for the 750, which reinstates the flash connector & has a hotshoe and _should_ (this one still seems ambiguous) the remote, i'd go for the 730. with 10x zoom, i feel that the remote will be a nice thing to have in many situations.

Somy
somynex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 10:29 AM   #3

I'm waiting for what the 760 will be. I'm currently a C-700 owner, and would like to upgrade for higher MP, but the 750 isn't enough of a camera yet...the 740 is like the 720 in that it's a crippled version of a better model they have.

The 740 and 750 (like the previous C-7x0 models) don't have any focus assist which makes them useless in low light. The 750 can take the megabucks FL-40 flash which has a built-in focus assist beam but the 740 can't take an external flash (unless it's a slave). Consider this me ranting at Olympus again for being so STUPID!!! Have they ever tried the cameras they make?
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 11:45 PM   #4

yeah, mike, i think exactly as you. I do not want to buy the c-740 as it is a cripped 750, but the 750 is too pricey.
I'm sure they do this because of the "megapixel advantage" of the c-750, and to tell the people that cameras with more megapixels carry more functions and are better, but those things really make me angry.
I will buy the c-730 it seems... U$S414 at buydig is a good price.
ltcdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2003, 12:20 AM   #5

Someone asked me privately about the FL-40 which I replied to, but I'll post my answer here as well in case anyone else has the same question:

This isn't a lame question at all, I only bought my camera 10 months ago and at the time I purchased it I didn't know it wouldn't work well in low light situations, or what a focus assist beam was.

The Olympus FL-40 is for most Olympus C-series and E-series cameras. To talk about focus assist beams you should first know how focusing works:
http://www.howstuffworks.com/autofocus3.htm

As you can see from that site you need a certain amount of light for the camera to see the difference between a focused and unfocused scene...if there isn't enough light to see, the camera can't focus. The focus assist beam shines a light (either invisible infrared, or a visible red beam) just long enough for the camera to focus, and then shuts off for the camera to set other exposure settings.

Some cameras have a focus assist beam built in like the Olympus C-5050 but others like the C-7x0 series don't, and the FL-40 flash adds that feature to the camera.
Old Jun 6, 2003, 4:49 AM   #6

Default Oly FL-20

Also, I believe the FL-20 is also compatible with the C-7xx/5050 series cameras (or those that accept flash units that is), although I can't seem to find any info on whether it has an AF assist lamp built in like the FL-40 does.
somynex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2003, 10:18 AM   #7

I ignored the FL-20 on purpose because like you I have not been able to determine if it does have a focus assist lamp...it certainly doesn't look like it, and the original question was on how focus assist beams help the camera take the picture.

The FL-20 will work fine with Olys that have focus assist beams built in like the C-5050, but will be almost useless on the C-7x0 series.

There are two flashes from Promaster with the aid of a Promaster module is supposed to also give the Olympus camera a focus assist beam, but those who have bought the Promaster say the focus assist beam turns off before the C-700/730 has time to focus.
Old Jun 7, 2003, 12:33 PM   #8

why the ED lens are better than others? I don't know what are they and i have a Olympus C-740 LOL
Franco_Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2003, 2:11 PM   #9

General info, ED lens gives high quality color fidelity and eliminates reflection during observation and while photographing.