Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 5, 2003, 10:44 AM   #1

Default ughhh....c-5050

perhaps i made a mistake in buying this camera? i really wanted to upgrade to a higher megapixel cam, since i was using this 2-mp one for the past 3 years. but you know how they say this is a "professional" sorta camera? and i don't understand the basics of photography, so i don't use like aperture/shutter settings.

so i'm wondering. is it worth it to learn all this stuff? i use my digicam a lot, for work and for everyday pics. i'm considering selling this camera and getting one that's more user friendly...like the coolpix4500 or canon s50
rewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2003, 11:04 AM   #2

1- you can use it in program mode aka autopilot and let the camera do the thinking while you point and shoot.
2-with all the options available to you later and if you have this sudden urge to learn, the camera is capable of great versatility.

the s50 has basically the same capability of a 5050 in a smaller package and a smaller physical size sensor. my feeling is yes it is more compact but it tends to feel like the proverbal bar of soap. i would be more apt to drop it. it is a beautiful camera and that would not be nice.

the 5050 on the other hand has a wonderful grip and feel like a camersa. there are other advantages too. 3 different types of media capable and an underwater housing available for wet environment, snorkeling + diving. i feel it is a more fun camera. just got one for my wife a daughter to share.

as to "professionl" sort of camera. that would be subject to much debate. close but no win in my opinion.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 2:17 PM   #3

It's got little to do with being professional...it's more to do with being *creative*. Take a look at this site and you can play with and see what adjusting the shutter speed and f-stop does to a picture:
http://www.photonhead.com/exposure/simcam.htm

The camera in its automatic modes may decide what the best exposure is for a situation, but it may not be what you want.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 6:51 PM   #4

The 5050 is a full-featured camera offering a wide range of control to the user. For best results with cameras like this, some understanding of the principles of photography is very useful. Beginners who buy these cameras usually do so because they are keen to learn a new skill and prepared to invest time and effort doing so.

If you want to develop your photographic skills, the 5050 is an excellent choice. If you need a camera that will provide quick and acceptable results, but in which you are not able to invest much time, then a point-and-shoot may be more suitable.

The 5050 has greater potential, but at a price. For example, for indoor photography, point and shoot cameras are very limited with their small built-in flashes. A 5050 can be used with external flashes for excellent results in poor light - but the flash equipment can cost almost as much as the camera. On holiday, a 5050 enthusiast gets great pictures almost anywhere with his bag full of camera, flashes, lenses and accessories while a point-and-shooter gets pretty good pictures in most situations with a camera he can slip in his pocket (plus a fair number of disappointments where the camera's not up to the task).

So, how much effort do you want to make? An enthusiast will quickly get frustrated with a point-and-shoot and a holiday snapper will not get the best from a 5050. Choose wrong and you'll probably be looking for another camera in about 6 months time.

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2003, 12:33 PM   #5

Im a wanna-be entusiastic, but if i upgrade to this cam, i WILL NOT be able to afford ANY equipment for a LONG time. also there's the issue of my sister and father using the cam (so it will have to have a more then decent pic quality in "complete auto-pilot").

will this cam give me what im looking for ?
1. a complete p/s option with more then decent results
2. *GOOD* quality when *I* use it WITHOUT any equipment?

i have to decide by tomorow, so any responce will be grealy appriciated !

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenlander
The 5050 is a full-featured camera offering a wide range of control to the user. For best results with cameras like this, some understanding of the principles of photography is very useful. Beginners who buy these cameras usually do so because they are keen to learn a new skill and prepared to invest time and effort doing so.

If you want to develop your photographic skills, the 5050 is an excellent choice. If you need a camera that will provide quick and acceptable results, but in which you are not able to invest much time, then a point-and-shoot may be more suitable.

The 5050 has greater potential, but at a price. For example, for indoor photography, point and shoot cameras are very limited with their small built-in flashes. A 5050 can be used with external flashes for excellent results in poor light - but the flash equipment can cost almost as much as the camera. On holiday, a 5050 enthusiast gets great pictures almost anywhere with his bag full of camera, flashes, lenses and accessories while a point-and-shooter gets pretty good pictures in most situations with a camera he can slip in his pocket (plus a fair number of disappointments where the camera's not up to the task).

So, how much effort do you want to make? An enthusiast will quickly get frustrated with a point-and-shoot and a holiday snapper will not get the best from a 5050. Choose wrong and you'll probably be looking for another camera in about 6 months time.

fenlander
moonhawk is offline   Reply With Quote