Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 8, 2003, 3:46 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 57
Default C-350/D-560 pixel noise

Look at this picture http://deep-blue.aktualne.cz/P6080181.JPG , and tell me if it´s somethig wrong with my camera?It was taken in auto program mode -exporuse time 1 second.There is a lot of white/colour pisels .Same problem in dark sunset scene.With night scene program same pictures are fine, without these pisels(2 second exp.+noise reduction).it cant be all hot pixels though?
Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2003, 10:55 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
jazcan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 371
Default re: Hot Pixels

Hello,
I don't own an Olympus , I have a Canon G3. My camera has two "hot" pixels. The spots in your photo definitely look like "hot" pixels. If I were you, I would take the camera in for repair or if it's new, exchange it.
Here is a cropped shot showing my two hot pixels.
Mine appear before 1 second and recently one of them is now appearing in all shots (they do get worse!)


jazcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2003, 11:04 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,910
Default

That's what hot pixels are, especially if you took multiple shots, or had the camera on for a long time.

There are programs that will fix the problem in post processing, but to do that you have to immediately put the lens cap on the camera and take another picture at the same settings.

If there was a problem (stuck pixels) they would appear in *every* picture, and most camera companies have a minimum amount of stuck pixels before they would fix the camera because you might end up worse.

Hot pixels (on pictures 1 second or longer) is not something a manufacturer would fix, unless they appeared on faster photos too.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2003, 1:19 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 57
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
That's what hot pixels are, especially if you took multiple shots, or had the camera on for a long time.

There are programs that will fix the problem in post processing, but to do that you have to immediately put the lens cap on the camera and take another picture at the same settings.

If there was a problem (stuck pixels) they would appear in *every* picture, and most camera companies have a minimum amount of stuck pixels before they would fix the camera because you might end up worse.

Hot pixels (on pictures 1 second or longer) is not something a manufacturer would fix, unless they appeared on faster photos too.
this software remove all this ,,hot´´ pixels , works very well and its free.
http://www.mediachance.com/digicam/hotpixels.htm
Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2003, 1:31 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,910
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
this software remove all this ,,hot´´ pixels , works very well and its free.
http://www.mediachance.com/digicam/hotpixels.htm
I knew someone would find it...I was too lazy at the time! :lol:
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2003, 4:13 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 57
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
this software remove all this ,,hot´´ pixels , works very well and its free.
http://www.mediachance.com/digicam/hotpixels.htm
I knew someone would find it...I was too lazy at the time! :lol:
But with this soft u dont need take another picture at the same settings with lens cap.U only load the defect picture and in few seconds u have corrected picture.The flash on my camera went wrong yesterday, today I get a new one.And it make same ,,hot pisels´´(I think this arent real hot pixels, there is too many of them).And u can see this pixels here in d560 review in the picture with sweets too
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...s/P3190057.JPG.
So ints isnt defect of the CCD, its feature of this CCD.
Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 3:51 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20
Default

:?: Isn't this a problem that could be corrected directly on the D-560 itself? "Pixel Mapping", Page 106 of the Reference Manual (English Version).
Welshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 2:50 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 57
Default

No, pixel mapping remove dead pixels(they cant gather no light-black spots).But hot pixel(white/color spots)shine brighter than they should in given light condition.And one question yet.It is possible that the pictures from my first c-350 are more shrap than the pictures from the new one?
Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2003, 2:51 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
No, pixel mapping remove dead pixels(they cant gather no light-black spots).But hot pixel(white/color spots)shine brighter than they should in given light condition.And one question yet.It is possible that the pictures from my first c-350 are more shrap than the pictures from the new one?
Thanks, Marek. I've had mine for less than a week and wasn't sure what this function was for...now I know
Welshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2003, 4:10 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
No, pixel mapping remove dead pixels(they cant gather no light-black spots).But hot pixel(white/color spots)shine brighter than they should in given light condition.And one question yet.It is possible that the pictures from my first c-350 are more shrap than the pictures from the new one?
I thought the pixel mapping utility maps out hot and dead pixels. Here is a link from Olympus:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/998087928.html
MarkY is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:43 AM.