Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 8, 2003, 3:46 AM   #1

Default C-350/D-560 pixel noise

Look at this picture http://deep-blue.aktualne.cz/P6080181.JPG , and tell me if it´s somethig wrong with my camera?It was taken in auto program mode -exporuse time 1 second.There is a lot of white/colour pisels .Same problem in dark sunset scene.With night scene program same pictures are fine, without these pisels(2 second exp.+noise reduction).it cant be all hot pixels though?
Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2003, 10:55 AM   #2

Default re: Hot Pixels

Hello,
I don't own an Olympus , I have a Canon G3. My camera has two "hot" pixels. The spots in your photo definitely look like "hot" pixels. If I were you, I would take the camera in for repair or if it's new, exchange it.
Here is a cropped shot showing my two hot pixels.
Mine appear before 1 second and recently one of them is now appearing in all shots (they do get worse!)

jazcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2003, 11:04 AM   #3

That's what hot pixels are, especially if you took multiple shots, or had the camera on for a long time.

There are programs that will fix the problem in post processing, but to do that you have to immediately put the lens cap on the camera and take another picture at the same settings.

If there was a problem (stuck pixels) they would appear in *every* picture, and most camera companies have a minimum amount of stuck pixels before they would fix the camera because you might end up worse.

Hot pixels (on pictures 1 second or longer) is not something a manufacturer would fix, unless they appeared on faster photos too.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2003, 1:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
That's what hot pixels are, especially if you took multiple shots, or had the camera on for a long time.

There are programs that will fix the problem in post processing, but to do that you have to immediately put the lens cap on the camera and take another picture at the same settings.

If there was a problem (stuck pixels) they would appear in *every* picture, and most camera companies have a minimum amount of stuck pixels before they would fix the camera because you might end up worse.

Hot pixels (on pictures 1 second or longer) is not something a manufacturer would fix, unless they appeared on faster photos too.
this software remove all this ,,hot´´ pixels , works very well and its free.
http://www.mediachance.com/digicam/hotpixels.htm
Old Jun 9, 2003, 1:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
I knew someone would find it...I was too lazy at the time! :lol:
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2003, 4:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
Quote:
I knew someone would find it...I was too lazy at the time! :lol:
But with this soft u dont need take another picture at the same settings with lens cap.U only load the defect picture and in few seconds u have corrected picture.The flash on my camera went wrong yesterday, today I get a new one.And it make same ,,hot pisels´´(I think this arent real hot pixels, there is too many of them).And u can see this pixels here in d560 review in the picture with sweets too
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...s/P3190057.JPG.
So ints isnt defect of the CCD, its feature of this CCD.
Old Jun 11, 2003, 3:51 AM   #7

:?: Isn't this a problem that could be corrected directly on the D-560 itself? "Pixel Mapping", Page 106 of the Reference Manual (English Version).
Welshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 2:50 PM   #8

No, pixel mapping remove dead pixels(they cant gather no light-black spots).But hot pixel(white/color spots)shine brighter than they should in given light condition.And one question yet.It is possible that the pictures from my first c-350 are more shrap than the pictures from the new one?
Old Jun 12, 2003, 2:51 AM   #9

Quote:
No, pixel mapping remove dead pixels(they cant gather no light-black spots).But hot pixel(white/color spots)shine brighter than they should in given light condition.And one question yet.It is possible that the pictures from my first c-350 are more shrap than the pictures from the new one?
Thanks, Marek. I've had mine for less than a week and wasn't sure what this function was for...now I know
Welshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2003, 4:10 PM   #10

Quote:
I thought the pixel mapping utility maps out hot and dead pixels. Here is a link from Olympus:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/998087928.html
MarkY is offline   Reply With Quote