Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 8, 2003, 10:24 PM   #1

Default Wedding Picture

Hi I took this oicture of a wedding and I just wonder if someone can show me how to munipulate it in a software program(Elements v2,etc ) to improve it. I just can't seem to get it to look any better. Thanks

http://www.pbase.com/image/17611373
Kanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2003, 2:29 AM   #2

Looks pretty good to me. It will produce an excellent print just as it is.
Richard Howes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2003, 11:38 AM   #3

No problem with the final exposure, no offense, but you need to work more on the composition, the arrangement of the people in the picture , more important, most people in this group look elsewhere, not at the camera (only two look at the camera). I give a 7 to the exposure, 2 for the composition. Cheers
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2003, 12:42 PM   #4
lg

The exposure looks fine-- there may be just a tad of redeye you can remove from the baby's eyes. Other than that, I can see nothing that needs improvement with editing software.

It looks like you have very good success with the flash glare off the lady's glasses on the left. This can be a challenge at times. As an aside, it looks like the dreaded preflash got the two ladies on the left (eyes partially closed). You may want to instruct everyone to relax and close their eyes while you compose your picture, and then open them and look at you on the count of three.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2003, 3:07 PM   #5

Wedding pics are not the easiest of subjects - controlling contrast and avoiding burnout in the highlights of the dress takes some care.

It looks to me as if another photographer was directing this picture and you seized the opportunity. Are the people in the picture all looking at the "official" wedding photog?

The good thing about this is that the group has been posed under a neutral-coloured awning where the light is quite flat. This avoids contrast problems with the dress. However, it has also given little modelling to the faces (was the other photographer using a hand-held flash, by any chance?). It's a classic wedding group - the bride and groom look fine and the others are the usual mixture of OK and "caught slightly off guard".

I think the photo as it stands is about as good as it's going to get. THe version you have posted is highly compressed and shows severe jpeg distortion - I assume that the original was less compressed? Prints from the original should be very acceptable.

Next time...
You might take the camera off auto and use aperture priority at f4 or f5.6 for crisper depth of focus. Set the ISO to 100, not auto, to minimise noise. Wait till the official pic's been taken, then call out "Now look this way please" and get a pic where the principals are looking in your direction. Make sure you shoot in SHQ (at least) to minimise jpeg effects. I'd shoot at -5 contrast to reduce potential problems with the dress. You can always nudge the contrast up in your editor.

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2003, 10:58 PM   #6

Yes,fenlander,you right,that is exactly the circumstances under which the picture was taken. And You know, I have read those tips that you have given many times and have followed them in normal picture taking. But for some reason in the heat of the moment ,so to speak,I completely blew it and just shot on a wing and a prayer using the "P" mode....just clicked away. I just thought that maybe the picture could be improved a little by software work. Maybe next time I can do better. Thanks for the critiques and tips from everyone.
Kanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2003, 12:42 PM   #7

I agree there isn't much you can do to this as it's about right as it is.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote