Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 10, 2003, 5:46 PM   #1

Default Need help with camera choice - Oly c2100uz, c4000z, or HP850

Hi all...

New to posting but have been doing a lot of research here in the last couple weeks. I am looking for a new digital camera (our sony mavica fd85 having died) and think I have narrowed my search down to the Oly c2100uz (if i could find it), the Oly c4000z, and the hp850. My main subject matter is my 18mo old son, both indoor and outdoor pictures, still and action shots. I'm a novice photographer but I want something that will grow with me as I learn to play with settings. I wanted at least 3mp, minimal time between shots, and a continuous picture/burst mode, and priced less than $500. My main priority is picture quality, though, and from what I've read, the c4000z is exceptional in this area (especially with indoor photos). My only other limitation is that I don't want a canon (husband works for direct competitor). Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

thanks in advance

carla
aidansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2003, 6:21 PM   #2

I am an Oly C4000Z user now for several months. Each time I use it I'm able to use some new feature, like the histogram that tells me if my exposure is in the ballpark, or the manual focusing inset that pops up in the LCD. I use a Photosolve LCD Xtend-a-View (www.photoslove.com) attached to the LCD. This makes the Oly just as if it was an SLR of sorts. The LCD then becomes my information central. The rechargeable batteries last several hours in this shooting mode.
There are many others visiting this forum that know more about your other possible choices but IMHO I think that Olympus gives more bang for the buck.
This is my third Olympus camera - an Olympus IS-1 and all the attachments (useable on my C4000Z) in 1991, and an Olympus 35RC rangefinder in 1972. The IS-1 still works well. The 35RC went to my daughter years ago - she drowned it in the rain one day.

Look at the Oly cameras for features and value.

BTW, I've owned several Nikon 35MM cameras and they weren't that much better in performance than my IS-1 IMHO. And Nikon lenses are outrageously expensive for the amateur photographer.

Good Camera Hunting,

Enjoy capturing those special moments in your childrens growing up - it happens fast.

Wayne - Arizona
koinonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2003, 7:16 PM   #3

I'm not sure if this matters or not in my camera choice but I will primarily be printing out and using the photos for scrapooking...

carla
aidansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2003, 8:21 PM   #4

Any of the cameras you mentioned will fill the bill.

the 2100 will give more zoom ratio
the 4000Z will provide a non-electronic viewfinder plus about double the pixel count that will allow cropping in post-processing.

Unless you want to zoom way out most of the time you will get
newer technology with the 4000Z

On one of the other digital forums - someone was given an HP 850 for a weekend shoot, he said the pics were softer than his Oly. But that is a sample of one.

The 4000Z has image cropping ability built into the camera.

Try going to the Olympus website and download the C4000Z manual in pdf fromat. That will let you see what it's capabilities are ahead of purchasing.

Good Luck

Wayne - Arizona
koinonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2003, 11:22 PM   #5
NTT

Carla,

In case you don't already know it, the norm digicams has 2 kinds of zoom, optical and digital. What Koinonia was describing below is the digital zoom.

"The 4000Z has image cropping ability built into the camera."

The optical zoom is similar to a 35mm zoom view. You can see the actual zoom on the LCD as you're zooming into the subject. So, if you're looking for 2x or 3x zoom capability, you would be looking for a 2x or 3x optical zoom.

When you do digital zoom on the camera, because it is actually cropping your max optical zoom image, the file size results in a smaller file size which is a lower resolution image. You want to keep this in mind so you would want to set the resolution to a max when doing digital zooming with your new camera.
NTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 8:00 AM   #6
lg

I see that you have included the C-2100 in your list, even though you wanted a minimum of 3MP in your camera selection. It is a 2.1 MP, but produces very clear prints, perfect for scrapbooking and anything up to 8x10. It's easy to use, has a focus-assist lamp that is helpful in low or no light photography, and can take up to 1.7 fps in burst mode. Perhaps this info will help you in your selection.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote