Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 11, 2003, 10:44 PM   #1

Default Olympus Fl-20 or Fl-40 flash?

Hi, i'm new to the forums, but have a question that has probably been answered a hundred times already, but could'nt find an answer with my search, so here goes. Has anyone ever used the Olympus FL-20 flash? I need one for my C-5050, and had rather spend the smaller bucks for it rather than the big bucks for the FL-40. Just curious if it works just as well. I do not need the bounce and adjustability of the FL-40. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
JustaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2003, 10:55 PM   #2

Hi,

I haven't used either flash before, but you can find out a little bit more about the FL-40, FL-20, and some other flashes at

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/c5050/...ash-units.html

Hope that helps =)

Somy
somynex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2003, 10:18 AM   #3

With the FL20 you get a smaller, lighter flash that doesn't have tilt, swivel, or zoom/tele capabilties.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2003, 12:50 PM   #4

Also with the FL-20 you'll be depending on the small focus assist beam on the 5050...the FL-40 has a more powerful assist beam.

As well, what do you want to shoot? The FL-40 flash is a lot more powerful.

There are also third party flashes from Promaster that will do TTL with Oly cameras with the right module.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2003, 6:29 PM   #5

I also am new to the board ... great stuff ... Just wondering which promaster flash unit would you recommend in lieu of an FL-40 ... i should also mention that my personal camera is a 4040Z which means no hot shoe ... darned near got the 5050Z but i sure love the 4040 ... even my pro friends love it. Thanks in advance.
Keje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2003, 10:25 PM   #6

Here's a site that has flashes for Oly cameras:
http://www.the-meissners.org/olympus-flash.html

TTL means it can talk with the camera. Slave means that it waits until it sees the camera's flash goes off and then fires (some slaves don't work well with Olympus cameras because Olympus uses a preflash to set exposure settings, and the regular slave goes off with the preflash rather than the second flash).

The Promaster 5750DX has the same guide number as the FL-40, but a lot cheaper.

Some people have complained that the Promaster focus assist beam doesn't work properly with C-7x0 cameras...can't say about the 4040.
Old Jun 13, 2003, 6:09 AM   #7

Thanks Mike ... I should have cruised around other parts of the board ... there's so much info everywhere. I've read the same about the complaints ... alas ... i'm gonna keep my eyes open for FL-40s though ebay is a little questionable these days ... seems like there's more dealers "on line" dealers to muddle through ... lol ... i can always borrow a light pack from work when needed, it's just a big fuss to tote all the stuff around
Keje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2003, 2:34 AM   #8

Thanks guys, do you think the FL-20 will be strong enough for everyday (average) shooting in a low lighted home? Taking family pics and stuff.
JustaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2003, 1:30 PM   #9

It should be fine for home use, it has a guide number of 20m (65') which is, "the furtherest distance the flash illuminates at ISO 100 that can allows a picture to be taken with manual settings. Using the flash in an automatic or TTL mode would typically have a much smaller distance (on the order of of the distance indicated by the guide number). The guide number is a hangover from the days of manual flashes, in which you plugged the guide number into an equation along with the distance to calculate the f/stop to use." (quoted from the link I gave above).