Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 12, 2003, 11:41 AM   #1

Default Loose dial on c2100

Don't know why it's happened. Don't think I have knocked it. . But came to use my c2100 and the dial is loose. rocks on touching. Works OK but definitely not as firm as it was.. quite loose.

Is this a big problem waiting to happen. Easy to fix or ?
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2003, 8:55 AM   #2
lg

I'm sorry to hear that, TonyG! I am not aware of any adjustment, but there may be one. I hope you find a good resolution to your problem; if not, you may just have to live with it.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2003, 9:03 AM   #3

Arrgh

Well it works but of course these things don't fix themselves as the saying goes..Fingers crossed it doesn't get worse.. I know when I got bits in the viewfinder I was given simple instructions and was able to take it apart, clean and put back.. I was hoping this was a known thng and simple cure..

I know its only a small problem and the camera works.. But I didn't realise how scary the thought of a broken camera was.. I panicked.

Fingers crossed then
Old Jun 17, 2003, 7:05 AM   #4

It WILL get worse; it will eventually come off.

But don't worry. I had the same problem, and it was easy to fix. It seems that the dial is kept in place by three very little metal clips.

I put some superglue (a real tiny bit so it doesn't glue anything else!) on those 3 clips, and clicked it back into place. Then I kept "dialing" (just to make double sure the glue doesn't glue too much) until I was sure that the glue was dried up.

The only thing to watch out for is the wires attached to the dial; make sure when your dial comes off to glue it back on ASAP, thereby minimizing the chance of damaging the wires.
jochen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2003, 7:08 AM   #5

Erk! I don't know if thats good or bad news

However knowledge is the key and at least I know it's fixable now. Thanks for letting me know..I do feel a little better knowing its not a fatal thing..

Thanks
Old Jan 26, 2004, 11:42 AM   #6

Well it finally came off

But i can't see three clips or anything that could be glued..

Any ideas how to get this back on? I ahve been quoted 7 weeks by all local camera stores to have it fixed... 2 weeks just for a quote that costs 35 pounds. then 4 weeks to be fixed and returned.

Can't find any UK store that fixes inhouse.. If anyone knows of one then let me know.. I am in Lancashire.. But will travel anywhere to get it fixed.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 1:51 PM   #7

TonyG – I had EXACTLY the same experience with my 2100. I’d owned it less than 3 months when the dial got bumped and it broke free while inserting the camera into a bag.

Anyway I successfully repaired it myself using “JB Weld” epoxy. 18 months (and 10,000+ images) later the repair continues to hold - the switch and dial still function flawlessly.

Here’s now to fix it:

1 – Remove the batteries from the camera.

2 - Carefully inspect the mating halves of the dial assembly to determine where they can safely be glued. Observe which parts move and which are stationary. Note there’s a sliding switch contact that mates with a metal trace on “base” part of the switch. No epoxy can go there!

3 – Clean the mating parts with a good solvent (I used isopropyl alcohol and lint-free wipes). There must be NO trace of oil, dirt, etc. anywhere.

4 – Mix up a small batch - 1 cc or so - of epoxy. (You’re actually going to use only a few milligrams of the stuff…)

5 – VERY CAREFULLY apply a bit of the epoxy to the mating fixed parts on both halves of the switch. I used a wooden match stick whittled into a suitable application tool. Do not use any more epoxy than necessary!

6 – Fit the switch back to the body. Make sure it is aligned rotationally and that it “drops” into position. Turn both the off/on/reset and the mode dial several times to be sure they work freely. Now put the batteries in the camera and make sure it still powers up and that the mode dial functions properly.

7 – Next fit a large rubber band around the handgrip and over the mode dial to hold it into place. Work the switch/dial again to make sure they’re both still free and functioning.

8 – Periodically (every 30 minutes or so) turn the switch and dial to make sure any excess epoxy hasn’t caused them to become “glued” together. BE CAREFUL while doing this in order to not otherwise disturb the switch assembly and ruin the epoxy bond.

9 – Keep an eye on the left over epoxy. Once it shows signs of hardening (4 – 6 hours depending on temperature), you can stop testing the switch/dial.

10 – After the epoxy has cured for 24 hours you can remove the rubber band. If you did everything right the camera should be as good as new.

Good luck!!

Incidentally that dial configuration is about the only goof Olympus made when they designed the 2100! The dial should have been recessed into the top of the body, or protected by a ring or something. …FB
FarmallBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2004, 4:22 PM   #8

Having been told everywhere I ask its 7 weeks and about 90 uk pounds I think I will be trying to fix it myself.

I will try to follow your instructions.. hmm well my wife will as my eyesight wouldn't be up to it even with reading glasses on

I will let you know around weekend (need to get the stuff you mention) how I got on

THANKS for the info ... Much appreciated