Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 21, 2003, 8:54 AM   #11

B&H $629+~11.50 shipping. there you will know what you get. i bought it for my wife and i to share. her for above water level and me for below. it has a great 40m UW housing for under $200US. replaces my nikonos
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2003, 3:33 PM   #12

Judging by the test shots on Steves Digicams I think the G5 just nudges ahead optically, the tonal rendering appears a little smoother - however, I'm not sure what version of filmware the 5050 camera on test was running. I think the Olympus lens is every bit as sharp. The G5 is a more expensive camera but looks like a disguised brick compared to the 5050 which fits really nice in your hand.

--Steve - a more than happy 5050 owner d:-)

PS The Olympus takes AA size or two lithium pack size batts which is *really* convenient in an emergency if you're on a job.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2003, 3:41 PM   #13

I've shot over 500 pictures in NYC in the last few days with the 5050Z under the rain, at night and the results are outstanding, I honestly can say this: I don't think the G5 would survive under that wet and humid conditions, even thought is a very good performance camera, the Olympus has the faster lens, better for low light shooting. Remember to bring your table tripod and the supplied remote, you made it in NY in the rain, you will make it anywhere...cheers
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2003, 5:19 PM   #14

I'm a new owner of a C-5050 who seriously considered the G5. I'm very pleased with my camera and think that with the way things are going (technology rising / prices falling) I would not pay the "just released premium" that the G5 has right now.

FYI - C-5050's at B&H are now $599.00, and lens adapters (tiffen OLYC3000AD) are back in stock.

J. Trevino
J. Trevino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2003, 7:41 PM   #15

Default Re: Oly 5050 or Canon G5?????

Right now,according to most non emotional and unbiased tests by web and by print(PCworld,Popular Photography,etc.) the Olympus C5050Z is the best camera in its' class. I just purchased one,after trying the G3,and Sony 717. I was not biased,I just wanted a camera that took photos that were good technically that were sharp,good true color,with good exposure,I did not care who made it. I kept the Olympus,it a great camera. I don't think that you will regret it if you decide to get one.
Kanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2003, 4:14 PM   #16

I finally bought the camera from Amazon. They were carrying it for $619 with a 64mb Smart card thrown in free. Anyway went to NYC for the July 4 weekend and took a lot of pictures. Was really pleased with the camera. :lol:
Hari
hariraghavan is offline   Reply With Quote