Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 18, 2003, 1:53 AM   #1

Default Teacher for Lens?

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post. I'm so glad to have found you. I have a olympus C-700 and Canon es75 video cam. I have been trying to buy wide angle and tele lens w/filters for the c700. I can't find the outer ring size of the camera. All the numbers are starting to really confuse me. 45.6-52mm, 45.6-55mm, 45.6-37mm? I know I need a tube adp. What size? Can anyone explain to me the focal length difference? Is there a standard size that I should use? When it states 55mm is that the back or front of the lens ring size or lens size? :roll:
I went to the local camera shop and he couldn't or wouldn't give me this info., he just wanted to sell me what he had. I'm not a professional, I just really like to take photos and video and make home movies etc... (DVD"s).

I would like to use the same lens on my video cam which I think has a 46mm ring. This way I will not have more stuff to carry. :lol:

Also, just to be a pain in you know what! What is better the new optic glass or crystal. Any brand you would recommand?
Azlayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2003, 8:16 AM   #2

45.6mm is the outside diameter of the lens. A 45.6-55 adapter adapts the camera for 55mm filters. a 45.6-52 lets you use 52mm filters. Olympus sells an adapter tube for this purpos, its 45.6-55mm. I already have 52mm circular polarizer, etc. for my SLR, so I ordered a 45.6-52 adapter from 2filters.com. Can't advise on tele/wide adapter lenses except that I doubt you will be happy with clarity.

http://www.2filters.com./
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2003, 8:17 AM   #3

Default Addtional source for telephoto info

Check B-300.com for telephoto and wide angle lenses. They have some comaprisons with the new Oly. TCON-17, the older B-300, and a Sony telephoto lense. They also have the the Olympus CLA-4 tube adaptor (55 mm) for fitting the TCON (or Oly. wide angle) to your C-700. The TCON-17 has 1.7 magnification and is receiving very good reviews. I have not seen much on the new Oly. wide angle (WCON-7 (?) at .7 mangnification). Raynox also makes some respectable add-on lenses.

Check under "Add-on lenses" here at Steve's forum for much better discussion on telephoto lenses than I can possibly provide.

2filters.com, mentioned above, is also a good place to check for adaptor tubes and lenses. They have varying sizes adaptors depending on filter or lense size you're trying to fit to your camera, although I don't think they carry a 55 mm tube if you want to attach an Oly TCON (you could use a step up ring however.)

I have the older Oly B-300, which has been discontinued and "replaced" by the TCON-17. I have been very pleased with the quality of picture from the B-300 on my C-730. I have not purchased a wide angle lense preferring instead to try a panorama.

Regards -

Paul in NoVA
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2003, 1:32 PM   #4

If you want to use the same accessories for both cameras one thing you can do is buy a step-up ring for the video camera. Say if you buy the 45.6mm-52mm for the Oly, you can get a 45mm-52mm step-up ring for the camcorder (I chose 52mm because accessories are quite common). Of course if you want something like an Oly Teleconverter, you should see what diameter they are first, and get the correct tube/step-up and other acccessories for that diameter.

There *is* a 45.6mm-46mm tube adapter available for the Oly from 2filter.com (if your camcorder is 46mm you buy 46mm accessories for both without needing a step-up ring for the camcorder), but 46mm can cause problems for the Oly with Vignetting (a black circle around the picture or darkening at the corners) when the zoom goes beyond a certain position. There's less chance of vignetting when using a step-up ring on the camcorder since the diameter of the accessory is larger than the lens diameter itself.

It's a good idea to keep the filter tube adapter and a UV/Skylight filter on at all times to protect the lens tube from getting bumped (some people have had their lens tube bumped while extended and knocked it out of alignment so it doesn't move).

- Join the Oly_C-700 Yahoo Group (also for 720/730/740/750 users), http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Oly_C-700/
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2003, 2:32 PM   #5

Thank you for all your help...I went to www.2fitler.com and got a good deal and info. Also, I took a on-line class in basic photos and now understand the 35mm-diffrenace....

Thank to you all..... :lol:
Azlayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2003, 3:25 PM   #6

If you haven't already, you may also wish to check out http://www.photocourse.com where there's a free online "book" on the basics.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote